Edwards has surgery on leg, says he doesn't blame Marshall for cart mishap

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards said Wednesday he holds no animosity toward Marshall, a day after he ran into a service cart and broke his leg in a game against the Thundering Herd.

The freshman was going after a pass at full speed in the third quarter Tuesday night when his right shin hit a cart in the back of the end zone. A referee immediately called for help and Edwards was carried off the field.

A Cabell Huntington Hospital spokesman said Edwards was in good condition Wednesday following surgery.

Edwards told The Associated Press from his hospital room in Huntington that he didn't see several carts that were parked against a grass embankment.

"I just saw the ball in the air and once it came down, I hit the cart and flipped over it," Edwards said.

He doesn't blame Marshall but said the Conference USA officiating crew should have ensured the carts were moved away.

"They are supposed to check and see if everything is off the field," Edwards said.

His mother, Patricia Edwards, told Houston television station KRIV she is considering legal action against Marshall.

"I thought I didn't have a son anymore, the way he flipped," she said. "I thought we had lost him. He could have been paralyzed or something."

Marshall athletic director Bob Marcum said the carts, used by Marshall's band, will be relocated at future games.

"We are sorry the accident took place and wish Patrick a quick and full recovery," said Marcum, who also talked to Houston athletic director Dave Maggard about the accident.

Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said, "Clearly, all of us in athletics administration share in the responsibility for ensuring that the events conducted on our campuses are as safe as possible for the participants and I'm certain we will stay focused on that objective."

The game was televised nationally and the accident has already been shown thousands of times on the Internet -- even Edwards said he saw the replay.

Edwards, Houston's leading receiver with 634 yards on 46 catches, suffered a compound fracture and had a rod inserted in his lower right leg during surgery, said Houston associate athletic director Chris Burkhalter.

Marshall coach Mark Snyder, safety C.J. Spillman and defensive end Albert McClellan visited Edwards on Wednesday.

"He was in good spirits," Snyder said. "We wanted him to know that he is part of our extended football family and that we are here to help him in any way we can."

Marshall athletics spokesman Randy Burnside said the university's insurance carrier will pay for Edwards' medical bills.

Edwards is expected to make a full recovery.

"The doctor said I will be good, ready for next season," Edwards said.