Cops still investigating Vols players

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee players involved in a bar brawl must wait at least another day before learning if they will be charged in the incident that left an off-duty Knoxville police officer seriously injured.

Knoxville Police Department spokesman Darrell DeBusk said Monday that more charges are pending. He said there are witnesses of the early Friday morning fight at Bar Knoxville who still need to be interviewed for a first or second time.

There is no surveillance video of the fight at the 18-and-up bar, which spilled out into the street of the area near campus known as "The Strip."

"We still have some additional interviews that we need to do, and [additional] charges are pending the conclusion of that investigation," DeBusk said.

No one has been charged with the assault of officer and bar patron Robert Capouellez, who was hit in the head while trying to break up the fight. He was knocked to the ground, kicked and left unconscious.

Capouellez, 24, was in stable condition at a Knoxville hospital Monday recovering from his head injury.

Incoming freshman wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Sophomore defensive back Darren Myles Jr. was charged with assault, resisting arrest and evading arrest and was quickly dismissed from the team by Tennessee coach Derek Dooley for what was his second arrest of the summer.

Knoxville police refused to release names of other players interviewed about the brawl but have said there's a chance more Vols will be charged.

Dooley suspended indefinitely sophomore linebacker Greg King and sophomore defensive tackle Marlon Walls, though their roles in the incident are not clear. Dooley said his punishments are not indications of guilt because his "standard of conduct is much greater than what the legal standard is."

"I've met with every player who was there, and I've made a few decisions on some things that have in no way any bearing on the legal part of it," Dooley said. "I think it's important to know that. There are other actions that we're taking internally, and there's also a period where we're finding out exactly what happened just like everybody else."

University of Tennessee campus police detained and interviewed senior receiver Denarius Moore, junior college transfer defensive tackle John Brown and incoming freshman receiver Matt Milton but did not charge anyone other than Myles, who is accused of fleeing from and elbowing a campus officer in the face.