Jayhawks move to 6-0 for first time since 1995

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- When Kansas defensive tackle James McClinton watched film of last year's game against Baylor, he could hardly believe what he saw.

Now it's the Bears' turn to rub their eyes in disbelief. No. 20 Kansas, which ranked last among major colleges in pass defense in 2006, held Baylor's potent aerial attack to just 154 yards Saturday and remained unbeaten with a 58-10 rout of the Bears.

The victory gave Kansas (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) its first 6-0 record since the 1995 team started 7-0, and avenged last season's embarrassing loss at Baylor. Last year, the Bears erased an 18-point deficit and threw for 394 yards in a 36-35 win.

"Coach showed us the film," said McClinton, who helped keep a steady pressure all day long on Baylor quarterback Blake Szymanski. "I looked at it and said, 'Man, was this us last year?' Lack of communication -- the quarterback getting out of the pocket -- them picking up third down conversions? We're a way better defense than we were last year."

Coach Guy Morriss of Baylor (3-4, 0-3) agrees.

"Oh, quite obviously," he said. "They are sitting here at 6-0. The thing about Kansas is they play hard and they absolutely do not beat themselves."

Todd Reesing threw two touchdown passes and Jake Sharp rushed for 110 yards and another score in the game that was twice delayed a total of more than two hours because of lightning and heavy rain.

The Bears managed only 202 total yards while Kansas, which started the day as one of 11 unbeaten major college teams, rolled up 447.

Szymanski, who had thrown 15 touchdown passes and averaged 302.5 yards passing his first six games, was only 18-for-33 for 119 yards and three interceptions before getting lifted in the fourth period.

"Last year we had a rough game," said safety Justin Thornton. "In the fourth quarter we were up 35-17 with 10 minutes left and they came back and beat us. We weren't having that this year."

The Jayhawks picked off four Baylor passes.

"Their secondary is really good," said Szymanski. "They are real athletic and pretty much shut us down. Our receivers were trying to get downfield to make plays but I couldn't get it to them."

Reesing, in his worst passing day so far in this turnaround season for the Jayhawks, was 14-for-31 for 184 yards, including touchdown strikes of 10 yards to Dezmon Briscoe and 54 yards to Marcus Henry. He tied the school record with a touchdown pass in his sixth straight game.

A heavy thunderstorm forced a delay of 1 hour, 45 minutes to the start of the game. Then lightning at the end of an 88-yard kickoff return by Kansas' Marcus Herford prompted a 31-minute delay in the first quarter.

"It was uncharted waters for us," said Kansas coach Mark Mangino. "Everybody was wondering what we should do. Some of the kids went to sleep, some listened to their iPods. I thought they handled it very well."

The Bears' lone touchdown came on David Gettis' 97-yard kickoff return right after Scott Webb's second field goal had made it 41-3 late in the third quarter.

Gettis shook off a couple of tacklers, got a block and outran his pursuers down the east sideline for the seventh-longest kickoff return in school history.

"They are a Top 20 team and they are playing like it," said Gettis. "Once they got the momentum, they just kept it rolling."

The Bears were held to just one yard on six offensive plays after Briscoe's touchdown and the Jayhawks got the ball on the Baylor 30 after a short punt. Sharp made it 24-3 with a four-yard run.

Freshman cornerback Chris Harris intercepted Szymanski's pass on Baylor's next play. A 15-yard penalty on the Bears moved the Jayhawks to the 17-yard line and two plays later Brandon McAnderson tiptoed down the right sideline on a 15-yard touchdown run for a 31-3 lead at halftime.

The Jayhawks, who played all four of their nonconference games at home, will leave the state of Kansas next week for the first time all year when they travel to Colorado.

Gettis' 34-yard return of a Kansas kickoff helped set up Caleb Allen's 25-yard field goal in the first quarter but that was the only scoring threat the Bears could mount.

The Jayhawks' last two touchdowns came in the final 2 1/2 minutes on Kerry Meier's two-yard run and Angus Quigley's 22-yard scamper.