TCU outlasts Baylor in 2 OT, ends Bears' Big 12 title hopes


TCU wins 2 OT battle with Baylor

In a game that was marked by inclement weather, TCU prevails for the victory over Baylor in double overtime.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Trevone Boykin threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to KaVontae Turpin in the second overtime and TCU (No. 19 CFP, No. 15 AP) beat No. 7 Baylor 28-21 on a rainy Friday night, knocking the Bears out of contention for their third straight Big 12 title.

Boykin, playing with a heavily taped right ankle after missing a game, threw for 148 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for a 1-yard score in the first overtime. Josh Carraway returned a fumble 56 yards for a touchdown for the Horned Frogs (10-2, 7-2 Big 12).

Devin Chafin ran for 119 yards and two scores, and caught a 4-yard TD pass in the first overtime, but was stopped short on a fourth-and-1 play to end the game.

With the loss by Baylor (9-2, 6-2), the Big 12 champion will be the winner Saturday night when Oklahoma (No. 3 CFP, No. 5 AP) plays at Oklahoma State (No. 11 CFP, No. 9 AP). The Sooners, No. 3 in the latest CFP rankings, and Cowboys are both 10-1 overall and 7-1 in the Big 12.

TCU got to 10 wins for the 10th time in the past 14 seasons under coach Gary Patterson, and a measure of revenge for that 61-58 loss in Waco last season.

In October 2014, Baylor overcame a 21-point deficit in the final 11 minutes and won 61-58 with a field goal on the final play. That was the only loss by the Horned Frogs, who shared the Big 12 title with Baylor before the league's two private schools were the first teams left out of the inaugural College Football Playoff.

After Boykin's pass to freshman Turpin to start the second overtime, Baylor had fourth-and-1 from the 16 when quarterback Chris Johnson took the snap and plunged forward. It would have been close, but there was never a measurement because coach Art Briles was calling for a timeout from the sideline before the snap.

When the Baylor lined back up, Chafin took the handoff and ran into TCU defenders Julius Lewis and Ty Summers, the last of Summers' school-record 23 tackles.

As rain-soaked Frogs fans stormed onto the field, referees stayed momentarily before finally declaring that Chafin was down short of a first down and the game was over.

Baylor struck first in overtime on Johnson's 4-yard jump pass to Chafin.

TCU got even on Boykin's 1-yard keeper, after a pass interference penalty gave the Frogs a first down and a play after Turpin appeared to score but was ruled out of bounds inside the 1.

After Chafin's TD runs of 1 and 5 yards on Baylor's first two drives of the game, and TCU scored in between, there wasn't another offensive score until overtime.

TCU punted on all nine of its second-half possessions. The Bears has six punts and two fumbles before that final drive that ended regulation.

Along with his fumble return in the second quarter that tied the game at 14, Carraway caused a fumble that ended Baylor's best scoring chance of the second half. Those were among four Baylor fumbles, and seven combined turnovers in the game.

The Bears were at the TCU 19 early in the fourth quarter when Carraway leaped into the air and then came to his feet and swiped at the quarterback's arm to knock the ball loose.

It had been raining since Thursday, and rained throughout the game with several heavy downpours. The start of the game was delayed 50 minutes because of lighting. The TCU band was on the field during the invocation and about to perform the National Anthem when the field was cleared because of that warning.

Boykin played for the first time since turn his right ankle awkwardly in the first half of TCU's last home game, Nov. 14 against Kansas. The senior quarterback missed last Saturday's 30-29 loss at Oklahoma as did four-year senior starting center Joey Hunt and star receiver Josh Doctson. Hunt and Docston also sat out against the Bears.

On TCU's first drive, Boykin threw a perfect strike to Jarrison Stewart for a 25-yard touchdown.


AP college football website: