Tre'Von Armstead arrested on sexual assault warrant in Texas

Former Baylor tight end Tre'Von Armstead was arrested Wednesday for the second time in over a week and is facing sexual assault allegations for an alleged incident that occurred in Waco, Texas, in 2013.

A Jefferson County Sheriff's Office official told ESPN that Armstead is being held at the jail there on $150,000 bond after he was arrested earlier Wednesday on a sexual assault warrant from McLennan County, Texas.

The Waco Tribune-Herald reported Wednesday night that the previously sealed indictment charges Armstead with three second-degree felony charges of sexual assault for an alleged incident that occurred in 2013, when he was still playing for the Bears. According to the newspaper, Armstead was indicted by a grand jury last week, but the indictment remained sealed until his arrest on Wednesday.

It's the first time a former Baylor football player has been indicted for an alleged crime in which he was previously not charged. The 2013 case was suspended by Waco police after the alleged victim chose not to pursue charges against Armstead and former Bears running back Myke Chatman, who she accused of sexually assaulting her at her apartment.

Armstead and Chatman were never previously criminally charged in the incident involving the woman, a former Baylor Bruin recruiting hostess. At the time, the woman told police she didn't want to pursue charges because she was too drunk to remember exactly what occurred. Police suspended the case after they were unable to retrieve text messages from Chatman and Armstead on her cell phone.

Armstead, from Port Arthur, Texas, was arrested in Las Vegas on March 13 after police say he pushed a woman, resisted arrest and kicked out the back windshield of a police car. A Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman told ESPN last week that before police officers arrived, a security guard also witnessed a confrontation between Armstead and a woman inside a casino. When officers tried to take Armstead into custody, he became combative and got into a scuffle with an officer, the spokeswoman said. She said that when officers placed Armstead, who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 280 pounds, into the patrol car, he kicked out a window. Armstead was arrested in connection with three misdemeanor charges: domestic violence battery, resisting a public officer and tampering with a police vehicle.

In late January, the woman who accused Armstead and Chatman of sexually assaulting her in 2013 filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against the school, alleging its football program fostered a culture in which alcohol and illegal drugs were provided to recruits, and that coaches encouraged female students in the Baylor Bruins hostess program to have sex with recruits and players. Baylor officials did not investigate the incident for more than two years, despite the school's obligation under federal law to immediately address allegations of sexual violence involving students, Outside the Lines reported in April.

In 2013, the Waco Police Department wrote in a police report that it had informed Baylor officials about the off-campus incident involving Armstead and Chatman. Waco police also told the alleged victim that they had contacted Baylor, but according to documents and interviews conducted by OTL, Baylor didn't begin looking into the allegations until Sept. 11, 2015.

Armstead was suspended from the football team in the fall of 2015 and expelled from school in February 2016, after a Title IX adjudicator found him responsible for sexually assaulting the woman. His appeal was denied.

Armstead, through his mother and attorney, had declined previous interview requests by OTL, but he has maintained that he never had sex with the woman referenced in the lawsuit. However, Chatman told Baylor Title IX investigators that the two did have sex with her.