President of The Second Mile resigns

PITTSBURGH -- The youth charity at the center of the child sex-abuse charges against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky received donations in recent years from hundreds of corporations, community groups and individuals -- including the judge who arraigned Sandusky earlier this month and Penn State itself.

On Monday, The Second Mile's president resigned, saying he hoped his departure would help restore faith in its mission. The group also announced it had hired Philadelphia's longtime district attorney as its new general counsel.

Jack Raykovitz, a practicing psychologist, had led the group, which was founded by Sandusky in 1977, for 28 years.

Raykovitz had testified before the grand jury that recommended indicting Sandusky on child abuse charges. The panel said Sandusky found his victims through the charity's programs.

The grand jury report called Sandusky the charity's primary fundraiser, and The Second Mile's annual reports show that some donations came from entities now involved in the scandal.

Penn State itself donated money even after high-ranking university officials were told that Sandusky had been seen sexually assaulting a boy on campus. Penn State donated between $1,000 and $1,999 to The Second Mile in 2009, and its Altoona campus donated between $2,000 and $4,999 that same year.

Another donor was State College District Judge Leslie A. Dutchcot, who set Sandusky's bail earlier this month. She and her husband donated between $500 and $999 to The Second Mile in 2009, and she volunteered for the group, according to annual reports and her website.

The judge set bail for Sandusky at $100,000 unsecured -- meaning he did not have to post collateral to be freed but would have to post $100,000 if he ever failed to show up for a hearing.

Dutchcot did not immediately respond to a question on whether she will recuse herself from the case because of those past ties to The Second Mile. She has removed the mention of The Second Mile from her website.

Major companies and their foundations also have given to The Second Mile. Between 2008 and 2010, the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, Highmark Foundation, The Hershey Company and State Farm Companies Foundation all gave $50,000 or more to the charity.

Other donors included U.S. Steel Corp., the University of Pittsburgh, The Pepsi Bottling Group, Frito-Lay, the Pa. School Counselors Association, local Wal-Marts and newspapers.

Raykovitz said in a statement Monday that he hopes his resignation would mark the beginning of a "restoration of faith in the community of volunteers and staff" at The Second Mile.

Tax forms indicate that Raykovitz's wife, Katherine Genovese, was executive vice president of The Second Mile. She has been with the group since 1984. It's not clear if she still works at the charity, as the staff biography page has been removed from the website.

According to a 2009 tax return, Raykovitz received about $133,000 from The Second Mile that year and Genovese received about $100,000.

The Second Mile has said that its youth programs serve as many as 100,000 boys and girls a year. Many children are referred by guidance counselors but the charity also works with foster children and operates fitness camps. According to Sandusky's biography, "Touched," the charity began by serving just 35 children through two programs.

Sandusky, who retired from Penn State in 1999, informed The Second Mile board in November 2008 that he was under investigation. The charity subsequently barred him from activities involving children, charity officials said.

The ex-coach allegedly assaulted eight children over a 15-year span. His attorney has said he's innocent.

Meanwhile, The New York Times reported on its website late Monday that close to 10 additional suspected victims have come forward to authorities since Sandusky's arrest, according to people close to the investigation. The paper said police were working to confirm the new allegations.

Sandusky said in an interview with Bob Costas for NBC's "Rock Center" that he is not a pedophile and is "innocent of those charges" but does acknowledge some things occurred.

"I could say that I have done some of those things," Sandusky said. "I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact."

Sandusky ultimately conceded, "I shouldn't have showered with those kids."

Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President Gary Schultz were charged with perjury. Both have denied wrongdoing and have left their university posts. Others who saw alleged child abuse only told their immediate supervisors, according to a grand jury report.

State Sen. Kim Ward said Monday she is writing a bill that would require all employees of colleges and universities to report suspected child abuse to the person in charge of the institution and to ChildLine, a child abuse reporting hotline.

"The Penn State situation just showed a glaring problem in the law," said Ward, who also wants to increase the penalties for not reporting to make a second offense a felony.

On Monday, a leading bishop from the U.S. Roman Catholic Church said the Penn State scandal "reopens a wound" for the church which suffered through its own child sex-abuse scandal in 2002.

"Our love and prayers go out to the victims, the families and the whole Penn State community," New York archbishop Timothy Dolan said Monday. "I know it's a bit of a cliche, but we know what you're going through."

Sandusky continues to collect a $59,000 annual pension and received a $148,000 lump-sum when he retired from the university in 1999, according to the Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pa. Schultz collects more than $330,000 yearly from his pension and received a $442,000 lump payment upon retirement in 2009, the newspaper reported.

The scandal led to the departure of university President Graham Spanier and the dismissal of legendary head coach Joe Paterno after law enforcement officials said they didn't do enough to stop suspected abuse when it was reported to them in 2002.

The Second Mile has said in a statement that it has done "everything in our power to cooperate with law-enforcement officials," but Attorney General Linda Kelly has said there was an "uncooperative atmosphere" from some officials at Penn State and The Second Mile.

The Second Mile also announced a new general counsel on Monday. Lynne Abraham is replacing Wendell Courtney, who resigned last week.

Abraham served as the top prosecutor in Philadelphia for nearly two decades, during which she was known for her no-nonsense approach. The city's first female district attorney, she earned the lasting nickname "one tough cookie" from former Mayor Frank Rizzo. She decided not to run again in 2009 and became a partner at the Philadelphia office of the Archer & Greiner law firm in early 2010.

The Second Mile board also said that it would conduct an internal investigation to assess policies and make recommendations regarding future operations. They hope to have those findings by the end of December.

In other developments, The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports that assistant coach Mike McQueary is consulting with an attorney after being placed on paid administrative leave following death threats about his testimony against Sandusky.

In 2002, McQueary, then a Penn State graduate assistant, went to Paterno and reported seeing Sandusky assaulting a young boy in the Penn State football team's showers. McQueary has faced immense criticism this week for not calling police, interrupting the act or, in the nine years since he was an eyewitness, demanding answers about why Sandusky was never charged.

However, a source familiar with the state investigation told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi that McQueary stopped the alleged 2002 sexual assault.

NBC quoted portions from an email McQueary sent to former teammates in which he said, "... the truth is not out there fully... I didn't just turn and run... I made sure it stopped..."

Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told ABC News that the Sandusky case "has generated a strong public response." Sources said the case "has generated multiple leads" and "information from the public" that has required state police to commit additional investigative resources to the case.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.