Police: No reports from Mike McQueary

A central Pennsylvania police chief says his department did not receive a report from then-Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary related to an allegation of child sexual abuse levied against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

McQueary, now the Penn State wide receivers coach who was placed on administrative leave Friday, had told a friend in an email that in 2002 he stopped the alleged rape of a boy he thought to be about 10 years old and discussed the matter with police.

But State College police chief Tom King said Wednesday McQueary didn't make a report to his department.

"He didn't come to State College police. The crime happened on campus and we don't have jurisdiction on campus," King said. "We've had no reports (of Sandusky sexually abusing someone) from anybody."

The university also has its own police force, and said they have no record of any police report filed by McQueary.

"This is the first we have heard of it," said Lisa Powers, Penn State's director of public information.

The New York Times published an extensive report detailing the investigation on its website Wednesday night. In it, the paper reported investigators went to McQueary after seeing a post on an Internet forum about Penn State athletics. They met McQueary a little over a year ago.

"This had been weighing on him for a very long time, and our guys felt he was relieved to get it off his chest," the Times quoted one law enforcement official as saying.

The report also said investigators found details about Sandusky in a 100-page Penn State police report from 1998. That case was forwarded to the Centre County District Attorney. But was never prosecuted.

The Times also reported, after a number of subpoenas were served at The Second Mile Foundation, the organization Sandusky had founded, travel and expense documents from 2000-2003 stored at an off-site facility were missing.

McQueary said in an email, first obtained and reported Tuesday by The Morning Call of Allentown, Pa., McQueary said he "did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police" after the alleged incident in 2002.

In the email, dated Nov. 8, McQueary said, "I did stop it, not physically, but made sure it was stopped when I left that locker room," The Morning Call reported.

McQueary did not specify which police department he spoke to.

King said Wednesday the police department has received one call from someone alleging to be a victim of Sandusky's, and his department referred that person the attorney general's office, ESPN's Paula Lavigne reported. King said he expects other people who may have been abused to come forward, noting that has happened in past cases.

King said he had not heard anything about Sandusky since 1998 until the beginning of this year, when the attorney general's office called and requested his department's 1998 records. He said he knew one of his detectives was being called to testify before the grand jury, but the first he heard of the actual allegations was when he read about them in a newspaper.

He said his department will not release records from the '98 case publicly, because they're part of an ongoing investigation and exempt from the state's right-to-know law.

Wednesday, in a brief off-camera meeting with ESPN's Lisa Salters, McQueary again said he wouldn't comment. When Salters said that people were looking to hear from him, McQueary said: "I understand -- I just can't right now."

Sandusky has been charged with molesting eight boys in 15 years, with some of the alleged abuse taking place at the Penn State football complex. He maintains his innocence.

In his grand jury testimony, McQueary wrote only that he talked to his father, football coach Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz about what he witnessed in 2002.

But in the email, McQueary said he did tell police as well: "I did have discussions with police and with the official at the university in charge of police ... no one can imagine my thoughts or wants to be in my shoes for those 30-45 seconds ... trust me," the Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pa., reported.

Grand jurors found McQueary to be more credible than Schultz and Curley, who were charged with perjury and failure to report child abuse.

King has been State College police chief since 1993. State College police did help on a case led by Penn State police into a 1998 allegation, referred to in a 23-page grand jury report on the Sandusky investigation as "Victim 6."

The report said the investigation began after an 11-year-old boy's mother complained that Sandusky had showered with her son in the football facilities.

King said the State College detective who helped on that case forwarded his notes to Penn State police, who then turned the case over to then-Centre Couny district attorney Ray Gricar. He declined to file charges.

Gricar disappeared in April 2005 and was declared legally dead earlier this year. Investigators have said they don't believe there's a connection between his disappearance and the decision to not charge Sandusky.

"I'm confident that was fully investigated," King said of the 1998 case. "He was very astute in what was needed to bring charges ... and certainly was not afraid to bring charges in a high-profile case."

Otherwise, King said there have been no reports of child sexual abuse made to his department related to Sandusky.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.