Syracuse forces OT, takes lacrosse title

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Kenny Nims never realized how desperate
things had become for Syracuse because he refused to consider the
possibility that the defending NCAA lacrosse champions might
actually lose.

"Never count us out," said Nims, who scored with 4.5 seconds
left in regulation to send the game into overtime and help the
Orange beat Cornell 10-9 for their second straight title and record
11th overall.

"This is our time of year, simply put," said Nims, who was
named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. "This is why we go
to Syracuse. The tradition of our program is extremely rich. This
is what we've been waiting for all year and this is our time."

Cody Jamieson scored the game-winner 80 seconds into overtime to
give Syracuse a victory over its central New York rival. Jamieson,
a transfer who didn't become eligible until April, has scored eight
of his nine goals this season during the NCAA tournament.

"There were definitely some nights looking at your ceiling
wondering if it was going to happen," said Jamieson, who was
allowed to practice but not play in the first 12 games because of
problems with his community college transcript. "So I leaned on my
friends and family and hoped. I practiced every day with the team
and I still felt like I was part of the team."

It was the ninth time the championship game has gone into
overtime, and the first since Princeton beat Syracuse 10-9 in 2001.
Syracuse, which never led before the final score, is the first team
to win consecutive men's lacrosse titles since Princeton in

"It wasn't easy," Syracuse coach Jon Desko said. "I feel like
we played for about three minutes at the end. And I still have to
go back and watch the film to see what happened."

John Glynn scored three goals with two assists -- all in the
first half -- to help Cornell open a three-goal lead before Syracuse
began to cut into the deficit. Stephen Keough scored with 3:37
left, then Jamieson cut it to 9-8 less than a minute later.

In the final seconds of regulation, Keough scrambled for a loose
ball and flipped it over his head to Matt Abbott, who brought it
into the attacking zone and found Nims all alone in front.

"I knew he saw me," Nims said. "I just did the easy part."

For Cornell midfielder Max Seibald, it was a reminder of the
2007 NCAA semifinal game in which the Big Red lost to Duke with 3
seconds left.

"Four seconds away," he said, choking back tears. "There's a
lot of emotion in that locker room right now. I wouldn't trade this
group of guys for a national championship. The experience I've had
with these guys the last four years and this last year, I wouldn't
trade it for a ring."

Jamieson's goal with 2:40 left in the 4-minute, sudden death
overtime spawned an orange wave of celebration that left a wake of
discarded helmets down the center of the field.

"They showed a lot of poise at the end of the game," Cornell
coach Jeff Tambroni said. "They certainly played like they've been
here before."

Jake Myers had 10 saves for Cornell, and John Galloway stopped
10 shots for Syracuse, which vacated its 1990 title and officially
has 10 titles -- still one more than Johns Hopkins.

"They deserved it," said Glynn, who admitted that Cornell got
conservative after taking a three-goal lead. "We kind of
maintained that game. Too much holding back with the ball -- it kind
of bit us in the butt."