For Mater Dei the upcoming season comes with many changes. Our notebook takes a look at those changes for the Monarchs as well as some school records up for grabs this winter.
• Christine Collins-Kiernan, head coach Kevin Kiernan's wife, traded her job as an assistant coach at Mater Dei for a job at Cal State-Northridge. That same CSU-Northridge team signed Monarchs senior forward Jessica Duarte to a National Letter of Intent last week.
• Taylor Spears, who left Mater Dei early last season, transferring to
Brea-Olinda, has been cleared by the CIF to play at the start of this season according to the Southern Section website.
• Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis tied the school record for scoring average in a season with 23.2 points per game as a junior. As a sophomore she set the school record for points in a single game with 41. She also holds the record for points in a half (29) and points in a quarter (19) but those records were not set in the same game. She also enters the season third all-time in total rebounds with 658, needing 45 boards to reach second place and 80 to break the school record. She can also eclipse the school record for 3-pointers by converting 23 attempts in her senior year.
• Junior guard Jordan Adams holds the school record for average assists for a season
with 6.8 assists per game as a sophomore. She also holds the record for most assists in a game with 12.
• Duarte set the school record last season for free-throws attempted in a season with 152.
• Senior forward Alexyz Vaioletama set the school record field goal percentage as freshman, converting on 61.9 percent of her attempts.
• Four seniors signed National Letters of Intent from Mater Dei during the early signing period (Nov. 10-17), Karina "KiKi" Alofaituli, who transferred to Mater Dei last year but did not play basketball, with Arizona State, Mosqueda-Lewis with Connecticut, and Vaioletama to Southern California in addition to the aforementioned commitment of Duarte. Last season four Monarch players signed with college programs, wing Shayla Batson with Northern Arizona, point guard Alexandria Thomas with Cal State-Fullerton, guard Lauren Rock with Westmont College and forward Tessie Pikula with Orange Coast College.
Follow us on Twitter, where you can ask questions and get instant updates.
Become a fan of the site on Facebook and get updates in your news stream.
Discuss this on our Message Board