NCAA postpones World Series

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NCAA postponed Friday night's games at the Women's College World Series until Saturday after severe weather in the Oklahoma City area.

A storm dropped a tornado in Oklahoma City's western suburbs, then barreled toward the state's largest city as cameras broadcast the approach on television.

Damage was reported Friday south of Interstate 40 near El Reno after the twister swept through a rural area. The Canadian County Sheriff's Office said it did not have any reports of injuries.

Funnels of various sizes touched the ground south of El Reno, 25 miles west of Oklahoma City. At other times funnel clouds remained aloft. Cameras showed debris in the air.

State police conducted rolling roadblocks to prevent motorists from driving into the storm as it approached Oklahoma City, which has a million people in the metro area.

A storm last week killed 24 at Moore, on Oklahoma City's south side.

The new World Series schedule calls for Tennessee to play Washington, followed by the second winners' bracket game between top-seeded Oklahoma and rival Texas. On Saturday night, there will be two elimination games: Florida against Nebraska, followed by Michigan against Arizona State.

The two elimination games that had been scheduled for Saturday night will instead be played Sunday. There will then be two games Sunday night featuring the final four teams remaining.

There were no plans announced for the if-necessary games that were scheduled for Sunday night. The best-of-3 finals are supposed to start Monday night under the original plans.

The NCAA announced two hours before the scheduled start of the Tennessee-Washington game Friday that play would be delayed, and the teams weren't at Hall of Fame Stadium when the storm system rolled through the area, dropping tornadoes along the way.

At least six of the teams sought shelter at the Cox Convention Center, which has an underground parking garage, and in the tunnels that connect it to hotels in downtown Oklahoma City.

"It's kind of weird because you know there's craziness going on above you but you can't see it. You can't hear it," Washington coach Heather Tarr said in a phone interview. "You're just like, 'What is going on? What's happening?' "

Each of the teams reported that their players and coaches were safe and accounted for despite a frightening experience.

"We had a couple girls in tears, so they were pretty scared," Tarr said. "You just try to stay together and not let anybody get lost, first of all, in the basement and make sure everybody just stays close and just hope that everybody is safe around us."

Tarr said her team had worked with a church to volunteer earlier in the week and help people who were affected by the deadly tornado that struck Moore on May 20.

"It was a really rewarding experience for our team to go and try to help anybody that was in need," Tarr said.

"After seeing what a tornado can do to a neighborhood and a community, I think our team was even that much more fearful of what was happening tonight."

Nebraska's players and coaches took shelter twice, going to the parking garage for about 45 minutes before emergency personnel allowed them to go back to the hotel. They went back for another 15 minutes later with more severe weather approaching.

"We appreciate all of the people who were concerned for our safety and we're happy to let everyone know we are all safe," coach Rhonda Revelle said in a statement.

Michigan coach Carol Hutchins said her team stayed in the garage for about two hours and gained peace of mind by being with families and Wolverines fans.

"Tonight softball talks a back seat because we know so many were not as fortunate to have the shelter that we did," Hutchins said in a statement. "Please keep the people of Oklahoma in your thoughts."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.