SPORT SECTIONS
Monday, December 8
 
Audrey Conte has her own legal issues

Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO -- The U.S. attorney leading a federal probe of the owner of a laboratory amid an international drug and sports scandal has subpoenaed all police records of the lab owner's long-estranged ex-wife, an official said Monday.

A grand jury investigation of Victor Conte and his BALCO Laboratories has been under way in San Francisco since October. The investigation focuses on allegations of money laundering and tax evasion in possible connection with the sale of illegal anabolic steroids and human growth hormones.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has identified BALCO as the likely source of a new designer steroid -- tetrahydrogestrinone, or THG -- that has shown up in drug testing of numerous professional and Olympic athletes. Conte, president of BALCO, has been divorced from ex-wife Audrey Conte for eight years. The oldest of their three adult daughters, Kisha, last week told Reuters her parents have not spoken to each other in 10 years.

Earlier this year Audrey Conte was arrested on charges of "possession for sale" of various controlled substances and prescription-only drugs that fall under three broad categories -- including anabolic steroids.

A police department lieutenant in the Bay area city of San Mateo told Reuters that all records had been subpoenaed by the U.S. Attorney in San Francisco for the investigation.

"Every single record has been sent to the U.S. Attorney," said Barbara Hammerman of the San Mateo Police Department.

She said the investigation requested all records of any "police contact" with the entire Conte family. "We had about 23 police contact reports for the family," Hammerman said. They have "all been requested and sent."

Trial proceedings on Audrey Conte's arrests in May and July of this year were suspended three weeks ago when a Superior Court ordered the defendant into treatment at a state mental hospital, "with criminal proceedings suspended until the defendant becomes competent."

Along with "possession for sale" of controlled substances, Audrey Conte was charged with violating the statute that forbids transporting or importing the drugs, according to court papers. The court records did not name the particular drugs Conte possessed, and her attorneys declined to comment.

In the early years of their marriage, Audrey played a pivotal role in attracting her then-husband Victor into the health and nutritional business even though does he has no formal training in the field.

After Audrey set up a "holistic" health center, Victor gave up a career as a professional funk rock musician and eventually set up BALCO in the 1980s. He also employed Audrey's mother at BALCO.

Last Thursday, famed slugger Barry Bonds and San Francisco Giants teammate Benito Santiago were the latest in a string of professional athletes to testify before the grand jury.




 More from ESPN...
IOC gives green light to retest Salt Lake samples
The IOC gave the go-ahead ...

Bonds offers testimony in BALCO probe
Barry Bonds weighed 185 ...

Retests: No trace of THG at swimming Worlds
Retests of all samples from ...

NFL to delay suspensions for THG use
NFL players who used the ...

Wheatley hits photographer at BALCO testimony
Former NFL defensive player ...

Postitive THG tests confirmed; review process to begin
The confirmation that four ...

Ratto: The 'Yeah, Right' Syndrome
No matter how clean a U.S. ...

Track athletes testify before BALCO grand jury
Two U.S. track and field ...

NFL owners' THG crash course
The biggest concern of NFL ...

Kreidler: Got juice?
Despite renewed speculation ...

 ESPN Tools
Email story
 
Most sent
 
Print story
 
Daily email