Lefty scrambles to tee time after hotel evacuation

Collins: Mickelson trying to rescue clubs and clothes from hotel (1:57)

Michael Collins details Phil Mickelson's struggles after his hotel was struck by lightning, forcing him to evacuate without clubs or clothes. (1:57)

MEDINAH, Ill. -- Phil Mickelson had a hasty start to the final round of the BMW Championship on Sunday, arriving at Medinah Country Club less than 40 minutes prior to his tee time, changing his shoes in the parking lot and scrambling to get warmed up.

Mickelson had been locked out of his nearby hotel room for 90 minutes because of a lightning strike that caused a fire and an evacuation. He tweeted about the circumstances and feared he might miss his tee time.

Mickelson, 49, credited the power of social media with helping him make it. The PGA Tour got involved, as did local police. Mickelson's brother and caddie, Tim Mickelson, said Phil was soon allowed back into his room and would make the tee time. He was staying at the Eaglewood Resort & Spa in Itasca, Illinois, adjacent to Medinah Country Club, so his journey was not far.

He was scheduled to tee off at 11:52 a.m. ET off the 10th tee, which is a considerable distance from the clubhouse and parking lot. He only had time to swing a weighted club in the parking lot, then to hit a few drivers and chips on the range before heading to the course.

Mickelson tweeted again that the "EMT's were awesome!" and "I'm going to make it," and then joked that his clubs "acted as a fire retardant."

Mickelson shot 71 and was tied for 48th. His season ended, as he is 47th in the FedEx Cup standings.

"Kind of a funny deal,'' he said of the evacuation at his hotel. "The building got struck by lightning right above me and blew out a brick chimney and caught fire a little bit. There were 10 firetrucks. I got in my car and left and couldn't get back. The roads were closed and the hotel was closed. But things cleared up pretty quickly. I was able to get back in and get my stuff.''

Mickelson keeps his clubs in his room and was not in his golf attire before he left.

"I was just thinking I'll be in San Diego (his home) a little earlier than I expected, but it all worked out. It was fine. ... I had plenty of warm-up, 20, 30 minutes. It all worked out great except my score.''