FBI claims brother-in-law was stealing money from Love

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The brother-in-law of Davis Love III was
being investigated for stealing money from the PGA champion's
account, then killed himself after the FBI began to question him,
Golfweek magazine reported.

Love discovered the body of Jeffrey Knight on May 16 in a
hunting lodge about 25 miles away from his home in St. Simon's
Island, Ga., the magazine reports in its June 7 edition.

Knight died of a gunshot wound to the head, Camden County
Sheriff's spokesman William Terrell said.

Love, No. 1 on the PGA Tour money list this year, could not be
reached for comment. He is expected to play this week in the FBR
Capital Open in Potomac, Md.

Knight was married to the sister of Love's wife. He worked as an
operations manager for the Love household, handling travel plans,
paying bills and taking care of day-to-day matters. He was not
involved with Love's golf-course design business.

It's the second family tragedy for Love. He was 24 when his
father, popular teaching pro Davis Love Jr., died in a 1988 plane

"Right now, Davis' main goal is to take care of the family,"
his agent, Mac Barnhardt, told Golfweek.

FBI special agent Tony Alig said irregularities in Love's
accounts prompted several banks to file reports of suspicious
activities. The FBI began investigating in December, and Alig first
questioned Knight in early May.

"He was very cooperative," Alig told the magazine. "He did
admit, to put it in layman's terms, stealing money from Mr. Love."

Love was not aware of that until May 12, the day after he
returned from the Wachovia Championship in North Carolina.

The magazine said Knight was taking the money from an account
that had been established when Love built a new home on his estate
in St. Simon's Island. The house was built in 2000, but the account
remained open.

Golfweek said Knight spent the money on the Camden County
fishing lodge, home renovations, and a significant amount preparing
for a Y2K disaster.

According to an obituary in The Brunswick (Ga.) News, Knight was
a Gulf War veteran who served as a military special operations
intelligence analyst.

"In discussions with me, he said Y2K influenced him," Alig
said, adding that Knight stockpiled food, fuel, tools and
solar-heating equipment.

Alig last interviewed him May 15. Knight went to the hospital
later that day for sleep apnea, checked out early and did not
return home.

Love, who spent a lot of time hunting and fishing with his
brother-in-law, went to the lodge when he found out Knight was
missing. He called 911 upon finding the body.

Alig described Love as "emotional, but in control of himself."

Barnhardt said Love was prepared to move forward. Love had been
gearing his game to the U.S. Open, which will be played next week
outside Chicago at Olympia Fields.

"Davis is one tough dude," Barnhardt said.