Father-son pair charged with being drunk in public after confrontation

SAN DIEGO -- A father-and-son pair were arrested
Friday afternoon during the second round of the U.S. Open after a confrontation with Adam Scott's caddie in what police say was an alcohol-related incident.

San Diego police said the incident took place at the par-5 ninth hole between the caddie, Tony Navarro, and Thomas J. Campbell, 37, of Apple Valley, Calif., according to a report in the North County (Calif.) Times.

Campbell and his father, Thomas W. Campbell, 62, of Upland, Calif., allegedly were heckling Navarro and Scott, who was playing in the superstar grouping with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

The trio had teed off and were heading toward the fairway when Navarro suddenly went toward the gallery and under the ropes to confront the Campbells.

Two witnesses told police that the younger Campbell tried to punch Navarro; other witnesses said Navarro head-butted Campbell, or Campbell was so close to Navarro that his head pushed into Navarro's cap.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Navarro dropped his golf bag, and he and the younger Campbell rolled on the ground.

Mickelson's caddie, Jim Mackay, briefly went under the ropes as well to try to help Navarro, and was heard yelling, "Where are the cops?" according to the Union-Tribune.

Dan Christman, the San Diego Police Department lieutenant in charge of special events, told the North County Times that both Campbells were arrested for being drunk in public, and more charges might be filed against them.

Navarro told the North County Times that at the time, Stuart Appleby was teeing off on No. 18, about 30 yards away, and course marshals had signaled for quiet. Navarro said he went over to the Campbells to silence them.

"They just weren't paying attention," Navarro told the Times. "We just want to have the rest of the guys in the tournament to have the same opportunity that we have. And Appleby is over there on the 18th tee and leading the tournament.

"The guys were just yelling. It wasn't anything derogatory."

Navarro said he did not head-butt Campbell, and that Campbell had not tried to hit him.

Jim Schuch, a volunteer marshal, told the San Diego Union-Tribune he saw the incident.

"I don't know if the guy was high or drunk, but he kept yelling and going at Scott's caddie," Schuch said. "The caddie went after him at the bottom there, and then the police came in and broke it up.

Police said the 7-year-old son of the younger Campbell also was in attendance, and had been turned over to other family members after the incident.

"They were being a little loud and a little rude," Woods said afterward. "Stuey is over there on 18 trying to tee off and Tony is trying to make sure that he [Appleby] doesn't have
these guys yelling on his swing. They didn't like that very much."