Martin hopes court battles are behind him
Associated Press
Wednesday, March 8

CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. -- Casey Martin turned on his cellular phone Monday and found an unusually large number of messages.

 Casey Martin
Casey Martin is 124th on the PGA Tour money list this season.
He thought something was wrong. He quickly found out everything was finally right.

At least he hopes so.

Martin's lawsuit that allowed him to use a cart in PGA events was upheld in appellate court Monday, possibly ending his two-year dispute with the tour.

"I am thrilled about it," Martin said Wednesday as he prepares for this week's Honda Classic. "I can't say that I actually stressed a lot about it, but it's been in the back of my mind for a couple of years now, wondering about my future.

"It feels great to have that behind me. Obviously there might be another round to go, but that is in the future if it does happen."

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday that federal disability law entitles Martin, who has a rare circulatory disease in his right leg that makes it difficult for him to walk 18 holes, to use a cart during PGA Tour events.

The court upheld a magistrate's 1998 ruling that allowed Martin to become the first golfer to use a cart on tour. The court rejected the tour's argument that requiring competitors to walk is an essential part of professional golf.

Another appeal is possible. The PGA Tour might try to have the case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

"I hope they won't challenge it," said Martin, a rookie on tour. "But at the same time, I bet they will. That is something that remains to be seen."

The PGA Tour will review the ruling at its policy board meeting next week before making any comment.

"We'll discuss it there and see what the next step is for us, which I don't know if anyone knows what that is," said Davis Love III, a policy board member. "I don't know what you can do."

Martin has Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome, a condition he has had since birth, which restricts circulation in his lower right leg. It is not getting any better and amputation remains a possibility.

He no longer sees a doctor for painful injections that he hoped might be a cure. Time spent in treatment is time away from golf, and it might not be much longer before his leg is too weak to stand on, let alone allow him to tee off.

Despite a PGA Tour policy against carts, Martin -- who earned a scholarship to Stanford and played alongside Tiger Woods -- waged a court battle for the right to ride.

He won a Nike Tour event before the verdict in February 1998. He qualified for the 1998 U.S. Open and finished in a tie for 23rd at The Olympic Club.

And despite not winning last year, he held up long enough to finish 14th on the Nike money list to earn his PGA Tour card for the 2000 season.

Martin can't remember the last time he walked a course, and he isn't sure whether he could make a full four rounds on his legs. One thing is certain: Without a cart, he wouldn't be where he is today.

"I realize the kind of attention I am under now and I don't want work this hard and to get here, then play bad and have it just be blown off as, 'Why did he pursue that? He didn't have any game,' " Martin said.

"I want to do well and I feel I have been given the talent to play well regardless of the cart situation."
ALSO SEE
Tour loses appeal; Martin can continue to ride

Honda Classic breakdown