Top 10 Driver Ratings at Charlotte
Jimmie Johnson........................ 110.6
Kyle Busch............................... 104.8
Denny Hamlin............................. 95.6
Matt Kenseth.............................. 95.2
Kasey Kahne.............................. 95.1
Joey Logano............................... 93.0
Chase Elliott............................... 90.6
Brad Keselowski......................... 89.7
Kevin Harvick............................. 88.3
Kurt Busch................................. 87.4
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2016 races (22 total) among active drivers at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· Construction began on Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) in 1959.
· The track's first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race was held on June 19, 1960 - won by Joe Lee Johnson.
· The track was repaved midseason in 1994.
· The track name changed from Charlotte Motor Speedway to Lowe's Motor Speedway in 1999. It changed back to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the 2010 season.
· The track was re-paved again before the 2006 season.
· There have been 116 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series points races at Charlotte Motor Speedway, two races per year since the track opened in 1960.
· In 1961, there were two 100-mile qualifying points races held the week before the May race. The first six fall races at Charlotte were 400-mile events (1960-65).
· 534 drivers have competed in at least one Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series points paying race at Charlotte Motor Speedway; 385 in more than one.
· NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Charlotte with 64.
· Matt Kenseth leads all active drivers in series starts at Charlotte with 35.
· Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Charlotte with a 7.871.
· 65 drivers in Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series history have made their first series career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· Five active MENCS drivers have made their first career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway: Dale Earnhardt Jr. (5/30/99), Jimmie Johnson (10/7/01), Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (5/29/11), Elliott Sadler (05/24/98) and Kyle Larson (10/12/13).
· Fireball Roberts won the inaugural Coors Light pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway (World 600) in 1960 with a speed of 133.904 mph.
· 45 series drivers have Coors Light poles at Charlotte, led by David Pearson with 14. Ryan Newman leads all active drivers in poles at CMS with nine; followed by Jimmie Johnson with four.
· 13 drivers have won consecutive Coors Light poles at Charlotte. David Pearson holds the record for most consecutive poles at Charlotte with 11 straight from the fall of 1973 through 1978. Matt Kenseth is the most recent driver to accomplish the feat (2015 sweep).
· Youngest Charlotte pole winner: Jeff Gordon (10/10/1993 - 22 years, 2 months, 6 days).
· Oldest Charlotte pole winner: Bobby Allison (10/11/1987 - 49 years, 10 months, 8 days).
· Eight drivers have posted their first career MENCS pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway: Donnie Allison (5/26/1968), Brett Bodine (10/7/1990), Jeff Gordon (10/10/1993), Ward Burton (10/9/1994), Derrike Cope (10/4/1998); including three active drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr. (5/28/2000), Ryan Newman (5/27/2001) and Aric Almirola (5/27/2012).
· 49 different drivers have won at Charlotte Motor Speedway, led by Jimmie Johnson with eight wins - 2003 summer, 2004 sweep, 2005 sweep, 2009 playoffs, 2014 summer, 2016 playoffs.
· Youngest Charlotte winner: Jeff Gordon (05/29/1994 - 22 years, 9 months, 25 days).
· Oldest Charlotte winner: Cale Yarborough (10/06/1985 - 46 years, 6 months, 9 days).
· Nine drivers have posted their first career MENCS win at Charlotte: David Pearson (5/28/1961), Buddy Baker (10/15/1967), Charlie Glotzbach (10/20/1968), Jeff Gordon (5/29/1994), Bobby Labonte (5/28/1995), Matt Kenseth (5/28/2000), Jamie McMurray (10/13/2002), Casey Mears (5/27/2007) and David Reutimann (5/25/2009).
· Nine drivers have posted consecutive wins at Charlotte Motor Speedway, including three consecutive by NASCAR Hall of Famer Fred Lorenzen (fall 1964 and both 1965) and four-straight by Jimmie Johnson (2004 and 2005 sweeps).
· A season sweep at Charlotte has occurred eight times, including each season from 2004-2007.
· Hendrick Motorsports leads the series in wins at Charlotte in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series with 19: Jimmie Johnson (eight), Jeff Gordon (five), Darrell Waltrip (two), Ken Schrader (one), Terry Labonte (one), Casey Mears (one) and Kasey Kahne (one).
· Eight different manufacturers have won in the MENCS at Charlotte; led by Chevrolet with 44 victories; followed by Ford (30), Dodge (15), Pontiac (8), Mercury (7), Buick (4), Plymouth (4) and Toyota (4).
· 16 of the 116 (13.7%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte have been won from the Coors Light pole; the most recent was Jimmie Johnson in 2014 (Coca-Cola 600).
· The second-place starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (17) than any other starting position at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· 33 of the 116 (28.4%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte have been won from the front row: 15 from the pole and 17 from second-place.
· 88 of the 116 (75.9%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup races at Charlotte have been won from a top-10 starting position.
· Nine of the 116 (7.8%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte have been won from a starting position outside the top 20.
· The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Charlotte is 37th, by Jimmie Johnson in the Coca-Cola 600 of 2003.
· Dale Earnhardt Jr. leads the series among active drivers with the most Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Charlotte without visiting Victory Lane at 33; followed by Ryan Newman with 32.
Additional Finishing Positions
· Richard Petty leads the series in runner-up finishes at Charlotte with nine. Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth lead all active drivers with four each.
· NASCAR Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Bobby Allison are tied for the series most top-five finishes at Charlotte with 23 each. Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers with 15; followed by Matt Kenseth with 11.
· Richard Petty leads the series in top-10 finishes at Charlotte with 31. Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth lead all active drivers with 19 each.
· Joey Logano leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Charlotte with a 11.188.
Track / Event Specific Stats
· Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway was the May 29, 2005 race won by Jimmie Johnson over Bobby Labonte with a MOV of 0.027 second.
· There have been three Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races resulting with NASCAR Overtime at Charlotte Motor Speedway (Scheduled No. of Laps/Actual No. of Laps): fall of 2005 (334/336), fall of 2007 (334/337) and the 2011 Coca-Cola 600 (400/402).
· Five of the 116 races at Charlotte Motor Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions; the most recent was the 2009 Coca-Cola 600 won by David Reutimann and Michael Waltrip Racing. Four of the five races shortened were the 600-mile events (1968, 1997, 2003 and 2009).
· Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway twice; the fall race of 2002 and the fall race of 2008.
· Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers in the series in laps led at CMS with 1,895 laps led 31 starts.
Female Competitor Stats
· Two female drivers have competed at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series: Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick.