Top 10 Driver Ratings at Charlotte
Jimmie Johnson........................ 109.8
Kyle Busch............................... 104.9
Denny Hamlin............................. 96.4
Matt Kenseth.............................. 96.1
Kasey Kahne.............................. 93.3
Kevin Harvick............................. 91.0
Joey Logano............................... 89.3
Martin Truex Jr........................... 88.5
Kurt Busch................................. 88.1
Brad Keselowski......................... 85.8
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2017 races (26 total) among active drivers at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· Construction began on Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) in 1959.
· The track's first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race was held on June 19, 1960 - won by Joe Lee Johnson.
· The track was repaved midseason in 1994.
· The track name changed from Charlotte Motor Speedway to Lowe's Motor Speedway in 1999. It changed back to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the 2010 season.
· The track was re-paved again before the 2006 season.
· There have been 118 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series points races at Charlotte Motor Speedway, two races per year since the track opened in 1960.
· In 1961, there were two 100-mile qualifying points races held the week before the May race. The first six fall races at Charlotte were 400-mile events (1960-65).
· 539 drivers have competed in at least one Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series points-paying race at Charlotte Motor Speedway; 390 in more than one.
· NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Charlotte with 64.
· Matt Kenseth leads all active drivers in series starts at Charlotte with 37; followed by Kurt Busch with 35.
· Jack Sprague (two starts) leads the series in average starting position at Charlotte with a 5.000.
· Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Charlotte with an 8.575.
· 65 drivers in Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series history have made their first series career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· Five active MENCS drivers have made their first career start at Charlotte Motor Speedway: Dale Earnhardt Jr. (5/30/99), Jimmie Johnson (10/7/01), Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (5/29/11), Elliott Sadler (05/24/98) and Kyle Larson (10/12/13).
· Fireball Roberts won the inaugural Busch Pole Award at Charlotte Motor Speedway (World 600) in 1960 with a speed of 133.904 mph.
· 45 series drivers have won the Busch Pole Award at Charlotte, led by David Pearson with 14. Ryan Newman leads all active drivers in poles at CMS with nine; followed by Jimmie Johnson with four.
· 14 drivers have won consecutive Busch poles at Charlotte. David Pearson holds the record for most consecutive poles at Charlotte with 11-straight from the fall of 1973 through 1978.
· Kevin Harvick is the most recent driver to post consecutive poles (2016 Playoffs, 2017 May race).
· Youngest Charlotte pole winner: Jeff Gordon (10/10/1993 - 22 years, 2 months, 6 days).
· Oldest Charlotte pole winner: Bobby Allison (10/11/1987 - 49 years, 10 months, 8 days).
· Eight drivers have posted their first career MENCS pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway: Donnie Allison (5/26/1968), Brett Bodine (10/7/1990), Jeff Gordon (10/10/1993), Ward Burton (10/9/1994), Derrike Cope (10/4/1998); including three active drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr. (5/28/2000), Ryan Newman (5/27/2001) and Aric Almirola (5/27/2012).
· 50 different drivers have won at Charlotte Motor Speedway, led by Jimmie Johnson with eight wins - 2003 summer, 2004 sweep, 2005 sweep, 2009 playoffs, 2014 summer, 2016 playoffs.
· Youngest Charlotte winner: Jeff Gordon (05/29/1994 - 22 years, 9 months, 25 days).
· Oldest Charlotte winner: Cale Yarborough (10/06/1985 - 46 years, 6 months, 9 days).
· 10 drivers have posted their first career MENCS win at Charlotte: David Pearson (5/28/1961), Buddy Baker (10/15/1967), Charlie Glotzbach (10/20/1968), Jeff Gordon (5/29/1994), Bobby Labonte (5/28/1995), Matt Kenseth (5/28/2000), Jamie McMurray (10/13/2002), Casey Mears (5/27/2007), David Reutimann (5/25/2009), Austin Dillon (5/28/2017).
· Nine drivers have posted consecutive wins at Charlotte Motor Speedway, including three consecutive by NASCAR Hall of Famer Fred Lorenzen (fall 1964 and both 1965) and four-straight by Jimmie Johnson (2004 and 2005 sweeps).
· A season sweep at Charlotte has occurred eight times, including each season from 2004-2007.
· Hendrick Motorsports leads the series in wins at Charlotte in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series with 19: Jimmie Johnson (eight), Jeff Gordon (five), Darrell Waltrip (two), Ken Schrader (one), Terry Labonte (one), Casey Mears (one) and Kasey Kahne (one).
· Eight different manufacturers have won in the MENCS at Charlotte; led by Chevrolet with 45 victories; followed by Ford (30), Dodge (15), Pontiac (8), Mercury (7), Toyota (5), Buick (4) and Plymouth (4).
· 16 of the 118 (13.5%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Charlotte have been won from the Busch Pole; the most recent was Martin Truex Jr. in 2016 (Coca-Cola 600).
· The second-place starting position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (17) than any other starting position at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
· The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Charlotte is 37th, by Jimmie Johnson in the Coca-Cola 600 of 2003.
· Ryan Newman leads the series among active drivers with the most Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Charlotte without visiting Victory Lane at 34.
Additional Finishing Positions
· Richard Petty leads the series in runner-up finishes at Charlotte with nine. Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth lead all active drivers in runner-up finishes with four each.
· NASCAR Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Bobby Allison are tied for the series most top-five finishes at Charlotte with 23 each. Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers with 15; followed by Matt Kenseth with 12.
· Richard Petty leads the series in top-10 finishes at Charlotte with 31. Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth lead all active drivers with 20 each.
· Johnny Beauchamp (two starts) leads the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Charlotte with a 7.000.
· Daniel Suarez (two starts) leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average finishing position at Charlotte with an 8.500.
Track / Event Specific Stats
· Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway is the May 29, 2005, race won by Jimmie Johnson over Bobby Labonte with a MOV of 0.027 second.
· There have been three Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races resulting with NASCAR Overtime at Charlotte Motor Speedway (Scheduled No. of Laps/Actual No. of Laps): 2005 Playoff race (334/336), 2007 Playoff race (334/337), 2011 Coca-Cola 600 (400/402), 2017 Playoff Race (334/337).
· Five of the 118 races at Charlotte Motor Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions; the most recent was the 2009 Coca-Cola 600 won by David Reutimann and Michael Waltrip Racing. Four of the five races shortened were the 600-mile events (1968, 1997, 2003 and 2009).
· Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Charlotte Motor Speedway twice; the fall race of 2002 and the fall race of 2008.
· Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers in the series in laps led at CMS with 1,930 laps led 33 starts.
Female Competitor Stats
· Two female drivers have competed at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series: Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick.
NASCAR in North Carolina
· There have been 810 NASCAR national series races among 31 tracks in North Carolina.
North Carolina Drivers In NASCAR
· 454 drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as North Carolina.
· 52 drivers from North Carolina have won at least one race in NASCAR's three national series; 31 have won in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.
--- NASCAR ---