It Is Anybody's Race at Sonoma... Except When It's Not
- Sonoma is typically anyone's track. Nine different drivers have won the past nine races at the road course. However, one active driver has multiple wins at the track and you might be able to guess who it is.
- Yes, Kyle Busch has two wins at the track and can join Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart as the only drivers with three or more wins at Sonoma.
- In fact, Busch is the only driver with more than two wins on all road courses. He has four career road course wins in his Cup Series career. Only four drivers in NASCAR's Cup Series modern era (since 1972), have won five career road races.
- If not Busch, then who? How about Kevin Harvick? Harvick won at Sonoma last year and has a series-best five wins already this season. However, Jeff Gordon is the only driver to win at Sonoma in consecutive years. The Kid won three straight at the track from 1998-2000.
Turn Back The Clock, Clint
- Clint Bowyer did not win a race from October 13, 2012 to March 26, 2018, a span of 1,989 days in between races.
- Bowyer has now won twice this season including the last race at Michigan. He is one win shy of tying his career of three wins set back in 2012. That was also the year of his win at Sonoma.
- Bowyer's average finish at Sonoma is 10.7, the best of any active Cup Series driver.
Who's Hot and Who's Not - Sonoma
Clint Bowyer: average finish of 10.7 at Sonoma, best of all active drivers; 7 top-5 finishes in 12 starts
Kyle Busch: only active driver with multiple wins at Sonoma
Kurt Busch: 197 career laps led at Sonoma, 2nd-most all-time behind Jeff Gordan (457)
Kevin Harvick: top-6 finish in last 3 starts at Sonoma including win last year
Jimmie Johnson: 4 top-5 finishes in 16 career starts at Sonoma, tied for fewest top-5s at a track with another road course, Watkins Glen (min. 8 starts)
Martin Truex Jr.: average finish of 21.0 at Sonoma, third-worst of any track in career; has not finished in 2 of last 3 races at track
Jamie McMurray: started on pole 3 times at Sonoma; average finish of 22 in those races
--- ESPN Stats & Info ---