UNC student mascot dies after traffic accident

NEWARK, N.J. -- Jason Ray, a North Carolina student who
performed as a mascot for the school's basketball team, died three
days after being struck by a car hours before an NCAA Tournament
game. He was 21.

Ray died Monday morning, said Steve Kirschner, the university's
associate athletic director for communications.

An NCAA official told ESPN.com that the men's basketball tournament selection committee is discussing with the four Final Four teams to determine how they will memoralize Ray's death prior to Saturday's national semifinals.

"On behalf of the NCAA and its member institutions, we extend our condolences to the family and friends of Jason Ray, the young man who died this morning as a result of injuries sustained after an accident late last week in New Jersey," NCAA president Dr. Myles Brand said in a statement released by the NCAA. "Jason was in East Rutherford for the Division I men's basketball tournament East Regional, where he was to serve as the mascot for the University of North Carolina and be among the thousands of young people who get to be a part of this special event. It is with great sorrow that we learned of Jason's passing."

Ray had been in critical condition at Hackensack University
Medical Center since the accident Friday afternoon. He was hit from
behind while walking on a highway shoulder near his Fort Lee hotel
after going to a nearby convenience store.

Ray performed as UNC's ram mascot, Rameses. He was scheduled to
graduate in May with a major in business administration and a minor
in religion. He was in New Jersey for the men's game between North
Carolina and Southern California.

"Jason was a wonderful son, brother and friend," Ray's
brother, Allen, said in a statement released by the university.
"He leaves behind a legacy of friendship, laughter, excitement for
life and a genuine love for all the people he touched during his
all-too-short life."

Emmitt Ray said his son "absolutely loved" dressing up as
Rameses, despite the costume's bulk.

"It was his way of supporting the team," the father told The
Star-Ledger of Newark. "There are things you just can't explain.
He wasn't doing anything he wasn't supposed to be doing. He was 200
yards from the hotel."

No charges have been filed against the driver of the sport
utility vehicle. Police said the driver stopped immediately to try
to help Ray and called 911. Police also said the driver had a valid
driver's license and did not appear to be under the influence of
alcohol or drugs.

On Sunday, more than two dozen family members and friends held a
bedside vigil for Ray. About 40 people attended a prayer session
for him on the UNC campus Sunday afternoon, said Laura Ely, a UNC
senior who met Ray early in their freshman year.

Ely recalled in an e-mail how Ray auditioned for the mascot

"I remember vividly Jason telling me about trying out for a
position as UNC mascot," she wrote. "He was instructed to dress
up in costume and walk around the pit [a common area on campus] and
interact with students as if he were at a game interacting with
fans. He obviously made a good impression because he was soon
accepted and began dressing for games right away."