Williams, Price suspended indefinitely after arrests

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut point guard Marcus Williams was arrested Tuesday on charges stemming from the theft of four laptop computers from student dorm rooms.

Williams, 19, of Los Angeles, is the second member of the team to be charged in the thefts. Redshirt freshman A.J. Price was charged Friday. Police said they expect to make one more arrest in the case.

Coach Jim Calhoun has suspended indefinitely Williams and Price, the university announced Wednesday.

"In light of the pending charges against Marcus and A.J., I have
suspended them from all basketball team-related activities," Calhoun said in a statement. "They are barred indefinitely from all team activities, and
their academic and personal activities will be closely monitored on a
daily basis by the members of our basketball staff. They will continue
to have complete access to all of the academic support staff so they can
focus their energies on their studies."

"It is important that everyone allow the court system and the University
judicial system to run its course," continued Calhoun. "This is a time
for them to concentrate on their academics and the resolution of these

Williams faces four counts of third-degree larceny, which carry a penalty of up to five years in prison and $5,000 in fines.

Williams surrendered at 8 p.m. to campus police, just hours after returning from Argentina where he competed on the U.S. Under
21 men's team in the 11-team world championship tournament.

Police said Williams and two others tried to sell the computers at several locations in Manchester. Employees at a pawn shop in Manchester recognized Williams as soon as he entered the store and told him they did not take laptop computers, police said.

The four laptops, which have a total value of $11,000, have been recovered.

The junior guard and Price had been expected to shore up the UConn backcourt, a position beset by off-court problems. Price missed the 2004-2005 season after suffering a brain hemorrhage in October and had not yet been medically cleared for this coming year. Williams missed most of the 2003-2004 national championship season because of academic problems.

Guard Antonio Kellogg was expelled at the end of his freshman season in April after being charged with marijuana possession and assaulting a police officer.

A source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press that some of the computers were stolen out of rooms belonging to incoming freshmen members of the women's basketball team. The arrests arose from an investigation that began two months ago and was first reported by The Day of New London.

Both players are free on a $10,000 bond and are due in Rockville Superior Court on Aug. 23.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.