UConn assistant arrested after profanity-laced tirade

VERNON, Conn. -- An assistant coach for the University of
Connecticut men's basketball team was arrested Tuesday after
causing a disturbance because he could not enroll his child in a
town recreation program, police said.

Andre LaFleur of Manchester, an assistant coach with the UConn
team since September 2004, was arrested Tuesday morning at a Vernon
recreation department office and charged with breach of peace,
Vernon police said.

LaFleur yelled at a worker after being told he could not
register his child for a particular program because its slots had
all been filled, police said.

Another department employee became nervous and called police to
report the profanity-laced tirade, in which LaFleur cited his
connection to the UConn program in an apparent attempt to get his
child into the program, police said.

LaFleur was later released on $500 bond and is scheduled to
appear in Rockville Superior Court on Aug. 15.

In a written statement, LaFleur said that his son had attended
the Vernon program over the past three summers, and that he became
upset when he learned the boy could not attend this year because of
a policy change.

LaFleur apologized to his family, the university and the Vernon
employee for the incident. He said he "spoke out of character,
making remarks I clearly regret."

"As a camp counselor and coach myself, I have dealt with many
frustrated parents over the years," he said in the statement.
"Unfortunately, today I became one of those frustrated parents,
which is not an excuse, and for that I personally apologize to the
counselor involved."

LaFleur has been an assistant coach of the UConn men's
basketball team since September 2004. Before becoming assistant
coach, LaFleur was the team's head of basketball operations for
three years.

Mike Enright, a spokesman for the university's athletic
department, said Athletic Director Jeff Hathaway and head coach Jim
Calhoun were aware of LaFleur's arrest.

"At this time we would have no further comment, as it is a
pending matter," Enright said.

LaFleur played for three years under Calhoun, then
Northeastern's head basketball coach. Calhoun left before LaFleur's
senior year to become head coach at UConn.

LaFleur, who left Northeastern as the NCAA's all-time leader in
assists, played basketball professionally in Australia for 11