Okafor: All 18 points after halftime

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- With a stunning end to a game that looked
lost, Connecticut added another twist to an already impressive
season. The Huskies proved they can win the close ones, too.

Led by All-American Emeka Okafor's darts, ducks and spins, UConn
scored 12 straight points down the stretch Saturday night to rally
for a 79-78 win over Duke and moved one game away from the national

Okafor, who spent almost all of the first half on the bench in
foul trouble, scored five points, grabbed three rebounds and shut
down Duke's offense during the last four minutes, after Duke had
taken a 75-67 lead.

"Nobody was really nervous," UConn guard Taliek Brown
insisted. "We just kind of kept our heads up and kept going hard.
It was a real ugly game for us, but we just went to `Mek' a lot and
just rode him down the stretch."

The 6-foot-10 center, who can do a little of everything,
finished with 18 points and seven rebounds.

In Monday night's final, the Huskies will play Georgia Tech, a
67-65 winner over Oklahoma State earlier Saturday. UConn will go
for its first championship since 1999, when it beat Duke.

The Blue Devils, who led almost the entire game, walked away
losers in their first Final Four appearance since 2001, when they
won it all. Coach Mike Krzyzewski lost a tough one, and will have
to wait until next year to go for his 65th all-time NCAA tournament
win, which would tie him for the record with North Carolina's Dean

"I don't think anything will make this pain go away," Duke
guard Sean Dockery said.

Connecticut hadn't been challenged in the tournament at all,
winning its four games by an average of about 17 points.

That all changed Saturday.

Saddled with two fouls in the first four minutes that sent UConn
coach Jim Calhoun into a tizzy against the refs, Okafor languished
on the bench for the rest of the half. He wound up with no points
and one rebound before halftime.

"It was eating me up inside," Okafor said. "I knew I just
couldn't stay sour-faced for the whole half."

Calhoun tried keeping his star's head in the game by telling him
he might go back in.

"I lied to him," Calhoun conceded.

Duke took advantage, running the ball and pushing its lead to
double figures early in the second half.

In the end, though, it was the Blue Devils' foul trouble that
did them in. All three of their centers -- Shelden Williams, Shavlik
Randolph and Nick Horvath -- fouled out. Krzyzewski was beside
himself, and after one late foul, he yelled at referee Ted Hillary:
"You cheated us."

Cheated or not, there was nobody to contain Okafor at game's

He gave UConn a 76-75 lead with 26 seconds left on a typically
relentless sequence, missing a shot that bounced around the rim for
a couple seconds, but grabbing the rebound out of Luol Deng's hands
for an easy stick back.

"I just saw this orange object floating in the air, and it said
`Grab me," Okafor said. "I grabbed it, spun, saw the rim,
thought it would be a good idea to put it in, and that's what I

Duke came down and guard J.J. Redick drove the lane, but guess
who was there? Okafor, and he stuck a hand in to help break up that
scoring chance.

UConn's Rashad Anderson hit two free throws to push the lead to
three, and after Redick barely grazed the rim with a 3-point
attempt that would have tied it, Okafor got the rebound and made a
free throw to ice the game.

Chris Duhon banked in a 3-pointer at the buzzer to cut the final
margin to one. In interviews after the game, Krzyzewski got mad
when someone suggested his team collapsed.

"Obviously, you didn't see the game tonight," he said.

The win for UConn -- the team that seems to have everything:
versatile guards, four guys standing 6-10 or taller and, of course,
Okafor -- might have answered one of the few questions remaining:
Could they handle a close game?

The answer was an emphatic "Yes." And now there's one more
test to go, a rematch with the Yellow Jackets, who beat UConn 77-61
early in the season to knock the Huskies from the top spot in The
Associated Press poll and let the nation know they were legit.

Georgia Tech will need to find an answer for UConn guard Ben
Gordon, who kept the Huskies within striking range while Okafor
languished on the bench. Gordon finished with 18 points, and did
just enough to overshadow a difficult game by his backcourt mate,
Brown, who had four points and seven turnovers.

But the real star was Okafor.

He controlled both ends of the floor over the final 20 minutes.
Another great sequence came with about nine minutes left, when he
launched himself up to swat a shot by Deng. UConn got the ball,
worked it to Okafor near the baseline, where he hit a pretty little
12-footer to cut UConn's deficit to 59-58.

The game was just warming up, though.

Duke's Daniel Ewing, one of five Blue Devils in double figures,
hit three buckets to keep his team ahead. The last of the shots, a
3-pointer with 4:36 left, gave Duke a 73-64 lead.

Anderson responded with a 3 for UConn, then Duhon made two free
throws to push the lead back to eight. As it turned out, those were
the last points Duke would score until Duhon's meaningless 3 at the

"It's hard to explain this kind of loss," Ewing said.