JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore lead Purdue to easy win

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- For 10 minutes Tuesday, Purdue didn't look anything like one of the top teams in the country.

It turned out to be a fluke.

After jumping out to an early 19-3 lead over Michigan, the Boilermakers struggled, allowing the Wolverines to charge back for a 26-25 advantage late in the first half.

Purdue (No. 11 ESPN/USA Today, No. 12 AP), though, scored the final five points of the first half and then outscored Michigan by 19 points in the second period on its way to an easy 80-57 victory to open the Big Ten season.

"We started out well, but then we started forcing some things and we got out of our rhythm," Purdue coach Matt Painter said. "We settled down in the second half, and I thought we finished the game really well. We scored 50 points in the second half with only one turnover, so you know you are doing something right."

JaJuan Johnson scored 22 points and E'Twaun Moore added 21 for Purdue (12-1, 1-0 Big Ten). The Boilermakers also got 17 points from Ryne Smith and 10 from Terone Johnson.

Purdue also dominated the glass, pulling down 31 percent of its missed shots and 78 percent of Michigan's.

"I was very pleased by the way that we had numerous guys step up on both ends of the court," Painter said. "We wanted to keep Lewis Jackson and Kelsey Barlow on Darius Morris, but they both got in foul trouble, and Terone ended up guarding him, and did a really good job."

Michigan (10-3, 0-1) was led by Stu Douglass with 15 points, but no other Wolverine reached double figures. Michigan shot 38 percent, compared to Purdue's 49 percent, and turned the ball over 14 times.

"I was very disappointed with our overall game," Michigan coach John Beilein said. "We never got anything going offensively, and when you struggle on one end of the floor, it is really tough to hold things together at the other end."

Morris, Michigan's point guard and leading scorer, was held out of the starting lineup for what Beilein called "disregarding some of our core values." Morris eventually played 32 minutes, finishing with nine points on 3-for-14 shooting.

"I made a mistake and I've apologized to my teammates," said Morris, who did not elaborate on the infraction. "I know what things we have to do in this program, and I didn't follow that code."

Purdue took advantage of Morris sitting out the first 4:05, by racing out to a 19-3 lead. Douglass, who started in place of Morris and then played beside him in the backcourt, led Michigan's rally with 13 first-half points.

The Wolverines went ahead on a dunk by Jon Horford, but JaJuan Johnson hit two free throws and Smith ended the half with a 3-pointer.

The Boilermakers stretched the advantage to 38-28 early in the second half, and Michigan struggled to put together a sustained run on offense.

Purdue used several fast-break dunks to key a 17-2 run that turned the game into a rout in the final eight minutes.

"We did some good things in the first half, but it all faded away in the second half," Douglass said. "I'm not sure what the difference was, but they were running all over us at the end. We're going to have to watch the film and figure this out."