St. Peter's upsets Seton Hall 83-80 in overtime

NEWARK, N.J. -- Desi Washington scored a game-high 34 points, including a 3-pointer with 3.3 seconds left in overtime to give St. Peter's an 83-80 upset win over Seton Hall on Saturday.

Brian Oliver led Seton Hall (7-4) with 26 points and hit a 3-pointer with 12.4 left in overtime to tie it at 80-80 before Washington won it with his shot from the top of the key.

Oliver's 3-pointer from the top of the key had tied the score at 68-68 and forced the overtime for Seton Hall.

Marvin Dominique scored 23 of his 25 points in the second half for St. Peter's (3-6). Oliver also had 10 rebounds for Seton Hall, which received 14 points and 11 rebounds from Eugene Teague and 17 points from Sterling Gibbs.

The victory broke a string of 17 straight losses for St. Peter's in its series against Seton Hall. The last St. Peter's victory had come exactly 18 years ago on Dec. 14, 1995.

Trevis Wyche drove for a layup and Dominique followed with a basket that gave St. Peter's a 64-59 lead with 1:17 left to play.

After reviewing the tape, the referees reversed a possession call with 32.7 seconds left. St. Peter's received the ball and Washington was fouled, sinking two free throws for a 66-61 lead with 24.4 seconds to go. Gibbs then drove and was fouled, completing a three-point play that cut the deficit to 66-64 for Seton Hall with 19.9 seconds left.

Gibbs was fouled again with 10 seconds left, but had to leave the game with a leg injury suffered on the foul. Teague replaced him at the line and made one of two attempts. Jamel Fields then missed two free throws for St. Peter's, but Jaren Sina had his shot for Seton Hall blocked at the other end. Washington sank two foul shots with 1.5 left to make it 68-65 before Oliver forced overtime with his 3-pointer.

Seton Hall was hurt when Gibbs, its best free throw shooter, was called for his fourth foul as he drove the lane with 6:08 left. Gibbs had connected on 38 of his last 41 free throws in the last six games before he was charged with the foul. The Pirates held a slim, 57-56 lead at the time before Dominique hit a jumper to give the Peacocks a lead. Washington followed with a jumper for a 60-57 advantage with 4:20 left.

Dominique had been held to just two points in the first half, but heated up early in the second half. He hit two 3-pointers in scoring 12 points over the first 7:30 of the second half, helping the Peacocks keep pace.

St. Peter's missed its first eight shots from the floor in the game and finally made its first field goal when Quadir Welton hit a jumper in the lane 5:50 into the action. Despite the poor start, St. Peter's shot better than Seton Hall in the first half when the two teams headed into the break tied at 26-26.