Arizona State stuns No. 7 Arizona with 60-foot buzzer-beater

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Desmond Cambridge Jr. hit a 60-foot shot at the buzzer and Arizona State rallied from a 10-point deficit to beat No. 7 Arizona 89-88 in a Pac-12 men's basketball game Saturday.

The Wildcats (24-5, 13-5 Pac-12) built a 10-point lead midway through the second half before going more than six minutes without a field goal as Arizona State pulled ahead by one.

The Sun Devils (20-9, 11-7) went up 86-85 on Warren Washington's layup with a minute left, but Pelle Larsson put Arizona back up on a layup with 29 seconds left.

Arizona State's DJ Horne missed a jumper with four seconds remaining, and the Sun Devils had a final shot after Oumar Ballo hit one of two free throws.

Catching the ball with 2.4 seconds left, Cambridge left the fans at McKale Center stunned, launching a shot from beyond half court that sent his teammates charging onto the floor in celebration.

"I did not think that shot was going in," said Cambridge, who finished with 19 points. "I just wanted to have a nice miss and everyone in the crowd go, 'Ohhh!' Once it went in, I literally could only scream because I couldn't make sense of it."

Cedric Henderson Jr. led Arizona with 19 points, and Azuolas Tubelis added 17 to help give the Sun Devils a big boost in their bid to make the NCAA tournament.

"We were sitting on pocket aces, and it happens sometimes," Arizona coach Tommy Lloyd said.

In the teams' first meeting, Arizona State went on a big run to open the second half, but Lloyd didn't call a timeout, letting his team play through the adversity. The Wildcats responded with a run of their own for a 69-60 win on a night when neither team shot better than 37%.

The rematch was all about the offense.

The Sun Devils hit as many 3-pointers in the first eight minutes as they did the entire first game and shot 20-of-34 from the floor to lead 46-45.

The Wildcats hit 16 of 27 shots, including Henderson's buzzer-beating 3 to end the half, but went 7-of-14 on free throws.

The good shooting trailed off only slightly to start the second half.

Arizona went on a short run to build a six-point lead, and the Sun Devils started taking questionable shots, allowing the Wildcats to stretch it to 78-68.

Even after turning up the defensive pressure to get back in it, Arizona State appeared to be down and out -- until Cambridge came to the rescue, ending the Sun Devils' five-game losing streak to Arizona.

"A lot of people were jumping ship and thinking we're not that team, but we are that team and the guys proved it tonight by going toe-to-toe with a team like Arizona on their home floor this late in the season," Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.