|Thursday, January 23
Updated: March 13, 4:31 PM ET
Biggio to play outfield with Kent's arrival
HOUSTON -- Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane is considering a contract extension request by 14-year veteran Craig Biggio, who will be moved from second base to the outfield this season to make room for Jeff Kent.
"This is not just talk about an extension,'' Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said Thursday after meeting with McLane. "It's a situation that evolved regarding the signing of Kent and regarding Craig moving to the outfield. Craig just wanted to get a few things off his chest.''
McLane and Biggio met for two hours Wednesday. Hunsicker said Thursday's meeting was an internal discussion and did not include Biggio's agent, Barry Axelrod.
Biggio's contract expires at the end of this season. McLane doesn't expect a decision until next week.
"I told him we'd review it and get back to him,'' McLane was quoted as saying on the Astros' Web site. "We'll have to look at our long-term finances and see how we can fit this into the budget.''
Biggio has spent his entire major league career with the Astros and is the team's career leader in games, hits and runs. McLane has said he wants Biggio and first baseman Jeff Bagwell to end their careers with the Astros.
Biggio will earn $9 million in 2003, the final season in a $33 million, four-year contract. The Astros signed Kent to a $18.2 million, two-year deal last month.