Reliever charged with felony battery

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers
disagreed over who's to blame for an altercation in the stands that
led to the arrest of Rangers reliever Frank Francisco after he
threw a chair that hit a woman and broke her nose.

David Rinetti, A's vice president of stadium operations, said
Tuesday a review of the ninth-inning fracas the night before --
which took place in the field box seats between the Texas dugout
and bullpen -- showed the fans' behavior wasn't over the line
according to baseball's rules of conduct that are posted at every
ballpark entrance.

"The incident became ugly when players approached the seating
area," Rinetti said before the teams played the second game of the
four-game series.

He noted the fans didn't yell racial slurs or swear at the Texas

Yet Rangers manager Buck Showalter was quick to point to
previous problems the Rangers have had in the Oakland Coliseum. He
claimed the Rangers had asked for more security in the area, but
Rinetti said neither he nor his security staff had been approached
with such a request.

Still, the A's beefed up security for Tuesday night's game and
the remainder of the series -- and probably for the rest of the
season. Several additional officers from the Oakland Police
Department were brought in to assist the Coliseum's regular
security staff, which was increased by 10 people in the visiting
bullpen and dugout.

Showalter said before the game he was satisfied with the extra
security presence and didn't want to rehash the incident. He
apologized for the organization.

"I'm not going to get into they said, we said," Showalter
said. "We'll learn from last night, everybody concerned."

Francisco spent much of the day at the team's hotel in San
Francisco, but arrived at the ballpark nearly 2 hours after the
first pitch just in case the Rangers needed his services.

Francisco sat quietly eating dinner with his teammates after the
Rangers' 12-9 win.

When asked in Spanish for comment, he said, "No puedo" -- "I

The Rangers said they had a lengthy team meeting before the
game, but players were coming in and out of the locker room during
that time. The team bus didn't arrive until 4:22 p.m., and their
clubhouse was not opened to the media the usual 3½ hours before
game time. It finally opened more than an hour late and players
didn't have anything to say about what happened.

"If it doesn't pertain to the game, I'm not talking," pitcher
Kenny Rogers said. "I think the (security) will be just fine. It's
just another ballgame."

Before the game, Texas right-hander Chan Ho Park signed
autographs near the area where the altercation took place.

Francisco was arrested Tuesday morning on a charge of aggravated
battery after he threw a chair into the right-field box seats and
hit two spectators in the head during the 7-6, 10-inning loss.

The injured woman, identified by her lawyer Tuesday as Jennifer
Bueno, 41, of Livermore, wants Francisco to be prosecuted. A civil
suit is also a likely possibility, since she'll need medical
treatment, said the lawyer, Gary Gwilliam.

Bueno's husband, Craig Bueno, is a battalion chief with the
Hayward Fire Department. Gwilliam wouldn't comment on what Bueno
might have yelled at the Rangers' players before the fracas, saying
he would let the man speak for himself at a news conference on

"There is no justification for what they did," Gwilliam said.
"Fans are fans and they have a right to have some fun and do some
badgering if they want."

Gwilliam said it wasn't just Francisco who went after the A's

"It's the whole damn team that tried to charge and fight with
the fans," he said.

Francisco was taken from the stadium to jail, where he was
booked and his mug shot was taken. He was released about two hours
later on $15,000 bail, Oakland Police spokeswoman Danielle Ashford

Commissioner Bud Selig said he was "very concerned about the

"Obviously I can never condone under any circumstances players
engaging in any kind of obstruction or violence," Selig said at
Miller Park, where he was watching Barry Bonds' chase for 700
homers. "Here, we are having our greatest season in a long time
and I hate for this to happen."

Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations,
and Kevin Hallinan, senior vice president of security, arrived in
Oakland before Tuesday's game.

Alderson said he hopes a disciplinary decision will be reached
by the end of the week. He didn't speculate the length of a
suspension for Francisco or others.

"Any time an object is thrown, there are very serious
consequences," said Alderson, who planned to be in town for
several days to investigate. "There's no excuse that justifies a
player going into the stands."

With two outs in the ninth inning, Texas' Alfonso Soriano tied
the game 5-5 with his second homer of the night. Moments later,
with Hank Blalock batting, the Texas bench and bullpen cleared.

Francisco threw a plastic chair used by a ball boy at a fan in a
lower box near the Rangers' bullpen along the right-field line. The
chair hit one man in the head, then bounced and struck the woman on
her left temple.

Bob Watson, the vice president of on-field operations for
baseball, will decide what punishment will be handed out to the
players, while Selig said he would monitor the process.

"There is no excuse whatsoever for any attack of our fans by
any of our players under any circumstances," Selig said in a

The A's were trying to contact the woman to apologize.

After Monday's game, Showalter said the fans "went over the

"It was a real break from the normal trash you hear from fans.
We've had problems about every time we've come here," he said.

But on Tuesday, Texas owner Tom Hicks apologized "for the
conduct of some members of our club last night in Oakland."

"Their behavior, especially the injury to a fan, was
unacceptable. Even in a difficult or abusive environment, players
should never be provoked into such actions," Hicks said in a
statement, adding that he had been in contact with the
commissioner's office. He did not say whether Francisco or any
other player would be punished.

Texas reliever Doug Brocail was seen screaming at a male fan,
and the pitcher had to be restrained by his teammates and bullpen
coach Mark Connor. Others also had to be held back.

Security ran to the scene and a small section of fans was
cleared from their seats.

During a 19-minute delay, there was talk between the umpires and
managers of suspending the game, clearing the stands and forfeiting
the game.

Last season, an Oakland fan was charged with assault after
throwing a cell phone from the second deck that hit outfielder Carl Everett, then with the Rangers, in the back of the head.

During the 2000 season, 19 Los Angeles Dodgers players and
coaches were suspended, and three fans were charged with disorderly
conduct, after a brawl at Chicago's Wrigley Field. The brawl
started when a fan allegedly struck Dodgers catcher Chad Kreuter in
the back of his head and snatched his cap as Kreuter sat in the bullpen.

In 2002, Kansas City first base coach Tom Gamboa was attacked by
a father and son who ran onto the field during a game at Chicago's
Comiskey Park. Gamboa was left with damage to the hearing in his
right ear. The next season, again at Comiskey, a fan ran onto the
field and attacked umpire Laz Diaz.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.