Jose Guillen said Friday that he would like to return to the Angels next season, and manager Mike Scioscia said he would welcome the suspended outfielder back in Anaheim.
In an interview with ESPN's Pedro Gomez, Guillen also said he will begin anger-management classes next Friday. It was Guillen's temperamental response to being pulled for a pinch runner Sept. 25 that led to his suspension the next day for the rest of the season and the playoffs.
Guillen told Gomez he is sorry for his behavior and for showing up Scioscia and that he has apologized to the Angels, who he says voted him a full playoff share.
Still, Guillen didn't like the way his suspension was handled.
"In my opinion, they overreacted, because this should have been
handled in a different direction. I always believe whatever happens
in the clubhouse, happens in the clubhouse," Guillen said.
As the Angels struggle in the playoffs, Guillen said it hurts to be sitting out while his teammates face the Red Sox. Before being suspended, Guillen had 27 home runs and 104 RBI while batting .294 in 148 games.
He was first suspended without pay, then was docked two days' pay after the players' union filed a grievance, but the Angels nevertheless left him off the playoff roster.
Guillen's contract calls for $3.5 million in 2005 and a $4 million club option, or a $300,000 buyout, for 2006. Speculation had been that the Angels would drop him next season.
Before the Angels' game in Boston Friday, Scioscia told The Associated Press, "I think that we definitely would welcome Jose back at some point and would obviously have to work some things out.
"It was unfortunate what happened," Scioscia said. "It's certainly taken one of our better players away at a critical time. So I think that speaks volumes on what the issues were."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.