NEW YORK -- Carlos Beltran's agent said Tuesday he has now
received offers from all teams involved in negotiations for the
free-agent center fielder.
A day after Beltran and agent Scott Boras met with the Mets in
Puerto Rico, a member of New York's front office said the team
planned to have more talks.
Sources familiar with the negotiations told Newsday the Mets were finalizing the details of their offer, expected to be in the range of $100 million. The New York Daily News reported that a six-year, $100 million offer would be made Wednesday and that the offer would be a starting point.
"He's a great player and a great person," said Mets special
assistant Tony Bernazard, who attended Monday's four-hour session
in San Juan. "We are very interested in him. That's why we came to
Puerto Rico to talk to him."
Bernazard said the sides didn't talk about numbers during
This figures to be a key week in the Beltran negotiations,
because the Houston Astros have a Saturday deadline to re-sign him.
After arriving back in California on Tuesday night, Boras said
he didn't know when the Beltran negotiations would conclude. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs have made a five- or six-year offer for an undisclosed amount for Beltran.
It was widely believed that the Detroit Tigers were interested, but team president Davde Dombrowski said the club did not make an offer to Beltran.
"He's a player we like a great deal, as we've said all along,
but where we are and what his situation is financially just doesn't
mesh,'' Dombrowski said.
Said Boras: "We're certainly at the point now where we've gotten offers
from all involved clubs."
Boras had set a $119 million, or $17 million a year for seven years, as the entry-level bid sought for Beltran.
Several teams have reportedly submitted bids in the range of $90 million previously, meaning the Mets would be the highest bidder to date.
Because of their contract extension negotiations with Randy Johnson, which must conclude by Friday, the Yankees have thus far decided to not make an offer to Beltran. Yankees owner George Steinbrenner met with Beltran in Tampa, Fla., on Dec. 21, but New York officials still are awaiting
a decision from Steinbrenner on the team's next step.
Some Yankees officials had been hesitant from the start to meet Boras' asking price, and they're expected not to compete with the Mets or others to get him.
Bernazard said the Mets weren't worried about competition from
"Pedro [Martinez] was not supposed to sign with us, and he's
going to play with us," Bernazard said.
Jessica Lugo, Carlos Beltran's wife, said her husband had not
yet ranked the teams.
"Each family member wants a different team, but he and I don't
have a favorite yet," she was quoted as saying in Tuesday's
editions of Primera Hora. "We are considering all options."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.