Edmonds diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds
was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome Wednesday, one day
after leaving a game because of dizziness and blurred vision.

Edmonds underwent an MRI on Tuesday night that showed normal
brain function, then had a battery of tests Wednesday to rule out
other possibilities such as diabetes, nutrition deficiencies or an
infection. Trainer Barry Weinberg said all the tests were normal.

"We're just going to keep it under the category of
post-concussion syndrome and we'll just go day by day and see how
he feels," Weinberg said. "He's got to just give me the input
every day."

Edmonds did not play Wednesday night against Cincinnati, but
manager Tony La Russa and the Cardinals were holding out hope he
might return Thursday.

"Tony's got the spot open tomorrow for him if he feels good,"
Weinberg said.

Juan Encarnacion moved from right field to center, where Edmonds
has won eight Gold Gloves. The 36-year-old slugger was batting .261
with 18 home runs and 65 RBI, third-best on the team.

Edmonds sustained what was described as a slight concussion on
June 21 when he crashed into the wall in Chicago trying to rob
White Sox third baseman Joe Crede of a home run. Edmonds said he's
had intermittent bouts of dizziness and blurred vision along with
nausea since then, feelings that have intensified after a couple of
diving attempts in the last week or so.

"The last four or five days I've just really been clueless,"
Edmonds said. "I started to notice it the most when I tried to
catch two fly balls on Saturday night and both of them almost came
out of my glove."

But he said Tuesday was "terrible" and the "worst day."

Edmonds mentioned to assistant trainer Greg Hauck that he was
having difficulty focusing and had blurred vision before taking the
field for the fifth inning. He was removed before a pitch was
thrown after the news was relayed to manager Tony La Russa and
Weinberg, who met Edmonds on the field.

Until he woke up Wednesday, Edmonds had thought it was only the
second inning when he came out.

"You don't really know what's what," Edmonds said. "I
couldn't believe it was the fifth inning."

There were other shaky moments on Tuesday. During his second
at-bat, which ended with an awkward swing for strike three on a
pitch from Aaron Harang that was up and in, Edmonds said he was
just trying to survive.

"I swung at a pitch and felt like I was going to, not
literally, but fall over," Edmonds said. "I was like, wow, how am
I going to get through this?"

When La Russa and Weinberg got to the outfield, they said it was
not a long conversation.

"I think he said something like, 'I can stay out here,"' the
manager said. "But he didn't argue.

"I know if he's got blurred vision, I couldn't put him out

Edmonds doesn't know if post-concussion syndrome is the correct
diagnosis, although he said the symptoms he's been suffering from
are similar to what occurred in June. On Wednesday, he said he had
been "up and down."

Edmonds has had only one concussion that has been diagnosed,
although he's certain there have been other instances.