Carroll, who turns 34 in February, and his $2.15 million salary
were deemed expendable even though the Rockies lost starting second
baseman Kaz Matsui to the Houston Astros.
Carroll, a fan favorite for his all-out play, started at second
base in 2005, when he hit a career-best .300 but he moved into a
utility role last season, backing up the starters at second, third
and shortstop while his steady defense helped the Rockies reach
their first World Series.
He hit .225 last year but his glove remained steady and he was
often used as a late-inning replacement.
Although the Rockies have 24-year-old prospect Jayson Nix among
a half dozen in-house prospects to play second base next season,
they're courting free agent Iguchi, who hit .304 in Philadelphia
after leaving the Chicago White Sox at the trade deadline last
Colorado general manager Dan O'Dowd confirmed the trade to The
Associated Press on Friday night. He said a formal announcement
would come Saturday.
Carroll told The Denver Post from his Florida home that he was
comfortable in Denver and didn't seek a trade: "I never asked for
that. I want that on the record. That's not the type of player or
person I am. I know my role. There's nothing negative I will take
from my time in Colorado. I was part of a historic run to get a
team into the World Series. Those are memories that are going to
The Rockies, who are finalizing a $30 million deal with starter
Aaron Cook, are pursuing a one-year deal with setup man LaTroy Hawkins, an integral part of the team's spectacular bullpen last
season, and are also interested in free agent Shawn Chacon.