The 24-year-old reliever told The Associated Press that a Dominican judge ordered him to remain behind bars Wednesday night out of concerns for his safety.
"I am going to come out of this fine because my conscience is clear, and I'm not worried this will affect my career because I haven't done anything," he said in the jailhouse interview.
Burgos is accused of abandoning the victims of the Sept. 30 accident and fleeing, charges that can carry six months to two years in prison. He disappeared after the accident but turned himself in Tuesday.
Prosecutor Raul Quiroz said an investigation could lead to additional charges in the deaths of Angely Fana, 29, and Josefina Minaya, 38. Fana's mother, Eudosia Ruane, has accused Burgos of intentionally running her daughter over because she refused to go out with him.
Witnesses say Burgos was the driver of the Hummer that struck the two women, according to police. But Burgos told AP Wednesday night he was sitting in the back seat of the truck, with his cousin at the wheel.
Burgos, who arrived at a packed courthouse under heavy security, said many people in this town are jealous of him and "exaggerate things" because he is the only Major League Baseball pitcher from Nagua.
"My son is innocent," Pablo Burgos said. "The issue is that here in Nagua there are a lot of people who want to hurt him."
Despite the order from judge Nicolasa Sabala, Burgos said he was confident he would get out of jail in time for an Oct. 23 court date in New York, where he faces assault and harassment charges for allegedly throwing his girlfriend to the ground.
"I'll get out of here soon, and I'll also clear up what happened in New York," he said.
Burgos also faces an unrelated charge of illegal weapon possession and had recently been released after posting a $3,000 bond.
Burgos spent the past season on the disabled list following elbow ligament replacement surgery. He pitched in the minors last month while on a rehabilitation assignment.