Gonzalez's return uncertain

SAN DIEGO -- Padres second baseman Edgar Gonzalez was released from a hospital on Sunday after he was he was hit in the head by a 93 mph pitch Saturday night.

Gonzalez did not have a skull fracture or a concussion but complained of dizziness and ringing in his ears, San Diego manager Bud Black said.

"They might do the same tests again, sort of a follow up just to make sure," Black said. "There's a lot of good signs."

Black said Gonzalez still does not have 100 percent of his hearing back. Gonzalez's return is uncertain.

"I think you have to wait and see," Black said. "We'll have to wait for the doctor's evaluation."

Black said Gonzalez would be placed on the disabled list.

"We are going to put him on the disabled list," Black said, according to MLB.com. "There are still a lot of hurdles for him to clear physically. We think it's in the best interest of Edgar to take the next couple of weeks to make sure the next couple of weeks are 100 percent."

Gonzalez was hit with a fastball from Colorado's Jason Hammel near the left ear hole on his batting helmet in the sixth inning. He immediately grabbed his head and fell to the ground.

He remained clutching his head in a prone position for several minutes before finally sitting up. Gonzalez needed helped walking to a cart that took him off the field.

"He was aware of what happened, he was aware of his surroundings, he was aware of being hit and what was going on around him," Black said.

San Diego All-Star Adrian Gonzalez, Edgar's brother, was relieved the day following the beaning but still had a hard time shaking the incident.

"It's kind of hard to describe." said Adrian, who was watching video in a room off the dugout when Edgar was beaned. "I saw it happen [on TV] and I just felt like I lost all my strength. I tried to get up to go outside and I felt like I might fall to the ground if I got up, so I just stayed in the chair."

Adrian was removed from the game at the end of the inning and looked visibly upset as he left the dugout to go to the hospital.

"When they got him up and they started moving him, that's a good sign," Adrian said. "But still, you don't know anything until you get those tests done in the hospital."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.