ST. LOUIS -- Major League Baseball will not investigate St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martinez under its domestic violence policy, according to a source, who said that Martinez's case falls outside the policy's jurisdiction because the allegations arose in a civil suit.
Martinez is being sued for $1.5 million by a woman from West Palm Beach, Florida. The suit was filed in Miami district court last week.
Martinez left the Cardinals for one day to go to South Florida to attend to personal matters that arose because of the lawsuit. He returned to the team Saturday and made his scheduled start on Sunday against the Washington Nationals. Martinez, 24, is 4-1 with a 2.60 ERA.
"I'm pretty sure that I'm healthy. I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling good. I'm pretty sure I know who I am," Martinez said through an interpreter when asked about the suit and whether it could be a distraction. "But, at the same time, that's not part of my job. That's my lawyer and my agent. They're going to take care of that."
Each of the players thus far investigated under the new policy -- the New York Yankees' Aroldis Chapman, the Colorado Rockies' Jose Reyes and the Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig -- were involved in incidents that generated police reports. No police activity was mentioned in the suit filed against Martinez, which was obtained by ESPN.com.