Terry Collins to remain in hospital after missing Mets game Sunday

MILWAUKEE -- New York Mets manager Terry Collins will remain hospitalized overnight in Milwaukee after requiring medical attention less than 30 minutes before Sunday's first pitch against the Brewers.

Collins complained of feeling ill, but had improved by the time he departed Miller Park for Froedtert Hospital, assistant general manager John Ricco said.

The 67-year-old Collins, the oldest manager in the majors, departed the clubhouse without requiring assistance.

Collins will undergo observation and additional testing before being released. Trainer Ray Ramirez accompanied Collins to the hospital and will remain with him in Milwaukee. The team departed for New York after Sunday's 5-3 loss to the Brewers, which completed a 10-game road trip.

"I've talked to our trainer, Ray Ramirez, who's with him," Ricco said. "They were watching the game. I know that. He's probably a bit agitated with the result, knowing Terry. But other than that, he was feeling fine."

Ricco said he did not have any specifics about symptoms beyond that Collins did not feel right.

"Without getting into too many details, he just didn't feel good," bench coach Dick Scott added. "The beauty about what we do is we have guys like Ray Ramirez and [assistant trainer] Brian Chicklo right across the hallway. They came right in. They followed protocol and took care of Terry right away. He actually felt fine right before the game. So we were all encouraged."

Ricco added that it is too soon to know whether Collins will manage Tuesday's homestand opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Scott, who managed the Mets in Collins' absence, addressed the players shortly before the first pitch to brief them.

"Dickie Scott called us in and just said, 'Hey, he's going to get taken to the hospital. He seems to be doing well, but they just want to be safe and get everything checked out to see exactly what's going on,'" right fielder Curtis Granderson said. "So hopefully we'll find out something sooner than later. But I haven't heard anything else since that moment."