Yankees outfielder Clint Frazier dealing with concussion symptoms

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Clint Frazier is continuing to deal with symptoms related to a concussion after his head hit an outfield wall during Saturday's spring training game, but he said late Wednesday that he was beginning to feel better, thanks to advice from Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

"I talked to Russell and he told me to drink a ton of water. I think I've drank a gallon at least today," Frazier said. "By what he described, that's what they do in the NFL. I feel alive right now. Maybe I was lacking water, I don't know."

Wilson is spending this week as a member of the Yankees, participating in spring training.

Hours before Frazier's update, which came during the latter innings of Wednesday's game against the Detroit Tigers, he had voiced his displeasure with being forced to miss so much time. The outfield is crowded with Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Brett Gardner, Aaron Hicks and Jacoby Ellsbury, and Frazier feels like a spot on the 25-man roster could slip out of his grasp.

"I can't even sit in my living room without feeling like s---," Frazier said Wednesday morning. "My head hurts, and it's just the headaches. I can't shake the headache all day.

"I have a goal to attain, and it's not fun watching it kind of feel like it dwindles away when you're sitting on the shelf."

A subtle headache persists, but Frazier said the migraine-like feeling he had the past few days is subsiding. Before taking Wilson's advice, he had trouble finishing meals. He'd stop eating with three-quarters of his plate still full of food. After more thoroughly hydrating, Frazier was able to finish his customary breakfast of three scrambled eggs with cheese, ham, pancakes and hash browns.

"I'm trending in a better direction than I felt like I was this morning," he said.

Frazier, 23, first reported concussion symptoms to the team Sunday morning. Against the Pittsburgh Pirates the day before in Bradenton, Florida, Frazier was drifting back for a fly ball that he said the wind kept carrying. When the left fielder reached the warning track, he leaped, just short of the wall, and caught the ball as his head made contact with the bottom of the fence.

As part of the concussion evaluation process, Frazier has spent the past four days working with trainers doing a warm-up routine to get his heart rate elevated. After struggling with hitting balls in front-toss drills since he has been out, Frazier was able to finally get through them late Wednesday without feeling nausea.

Frazier, who played football as a teenager but said he never had a concussion until now, said he might be able to hit live batting practice in a couple of days. Once he does that for two days, he is confident he will be able to play again in games.