Woodley stops Condit in Round 2

UFC 171: Jury Defeats Sanchez (1:49)

UFC lightweight Myles Jury speaks with Todd Grisham after his unanimous decision win over Diego Sanchez at UFC 171. (1:49)

Tyron Woodley kicked Carlos Condit's left leg so hard, his right one hurt.

Woodley (13-2) turned in the best performance of his UFC career, stopping Condit (29-8) via TKO at the 2:00 mark of the second round.

The finish occurred when Woodley tagged Condit's lead left leg with an outside kick. As Condit spun around from the shot, his right knee gave out on him. Referee Jacob Montalvo stepped in immediately as Condit winced and grabbed his leg.

"I heard him say something when I took him down," Woodley said. "He was complaining about the knee. When he got back up, I targeted it; I didn't know which knee so I kicked at both and I hit the right spot eventually."

It was an awkward end to a high-profile welterweight bout. Woodley, who begged UFC president Dana White for the fight, dominated Condit from bell to bell. He beat Condit to the punch on the feet and took him to the floor when he wanted to.

A monster right hand set the tone early for Woodley, as he came over the top after Condit floated a left hook. With 90 seconds left in the round, Woodley scored his first takedown. Condit worked for a triangle from his back, but Woodley threw him off.

It was obvious Condit wanted to push the pace in the second round. He opened up with combinations, which left him vulnerable to the takedown. After working back to his feet from another Woodley double leg, Condit absorbed the fight-ending kick.

A member of American Top Team, Woodley improves his UFC record to 3-1. His other two wins came via first-round knockouts over Jay Hieron and Josh Koscheck. Condit stumbles to a 1-3 mark in his last four outings.

Jury earns judges' decision

Myles Jury kept his perfect record intact with an efficient win over Diego Sanchez.

Jury (14-0) circled away from Sanchez's notoriously aggressive style and showcased effective counter-punching en route to a unanimous decision.

Judges scored the contest 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. Sanchez (24-7) tried to drag Jury into a brawl as he always does, but had trouble cutting the cage on the lightweight prospect. He put Jury into a guillotine choke late in the second round, but never appeared close to getting a tap.

"Obviously I didn't want to stand in the pocket too long and trade because that's Diego's strength," Jury said. "He's known for it. I wasn't afraid of his punches at all. I just wanted to fight smart."

Jury landed a hard right hand early, countering a spinning back kick by Sanchez. After nearly dropping from the punch, Sanchez taunted Jury by waving his hands forward.

Those tactics had little effect on Jury, however, as he kept distance and picked Sanchez apart with counters and jabs. Moments after the right hand, he scored a high left head kick flush. He opened a cut on Sanchez's left cheek in the first round, which bled the rest of the fight.

Sanchez landed two hard kicks to the body in the second round, but his face was a mess. With about one minute left in the round, Jury ducked under a combination and scored a double-leg takedown in the center of the cage.

He nearly made his first mistake on the ground, as Sanchez hooked in a guillotine choke. Jury patiently worked his way out of the hold, however, at one point signaling a thumbs up to the referee.

Jury now boasts a 5-0 record in the UFC. He debuted with the promotion in 2012 following a stint on "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series.

Sanchez, 32, drops to 1-3 in his last four fights.

Lombard wears down Shields

Throughout his entire career, Jake Shields has found ways to win difficult fights. Not this time.

Hector Lombard (34-4-1) dominated Shields (29-7-1) in a three-round decision, and made a strong statement to the welterweight division in the process. Judges scored the fight unanimously for Lombard, 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. Afterward, Lombard admitted he was unhappy with his performance.

"A win is a win no matter what but I just fought too safe," Lombard said. "I blew him up with some big punches early and I felt dominant throughout. I could've given more in the third round. "

A former Bellator MMA middleweight champion, Lombard did a little of everything -- except earn a finish.

That will be the one criticism of his latest performance, as he seemed to intent to coast the final 6-to-7 minutes of the fight. A step-in straight left buzzed Shields immediately in the opening round. Another left landed hard for Lombard as he countered a body kick attempt by Shields.

The speed difference was starting between the two in each exchange. Shields attempted to slow Lombard in the clinch and with double leg takedowns, but both strategies proved treacherous.

Lombard landed short punches inside and sprawled on multiple Shields takedowns.

With two minutes left in the second round, Lombard became inactive. He blocked Shields' punches but mostly refused to counter as he had earlier in the fight. He executed several trips in the final half of the fight, but did little from top position -- prompting three total referee standups.

Despite the lack of finish, it was an impressive performance by Lombard. The American Top Team product is now 2-0 since dropping to 170 pounds late last year.

Shields suffers his first defeat since a knockout loss to Jake Ellenberger in September 2011.

St. Preux submits Krylov

Ovince St. Preux (15-5) utilized a Von Flue choke to submit Nikita Krylov at 1:29 of the first round of their light heavyweight bout.

The submission, a shoulder choke, is named after martial artist Jason Von Flue.

"The minute he grabbed a hold of my head when I was in top position, I knew I had the opening," St. Preux said. "It was just a matter of time from there.

"I trapped his arm and before the ref stepped in I actually started to let go because I felt him go out. I'm very happy with my performance."

Krylov (16-4), who accepted the fight on short notice when the UFC released St. Preux's original opponent Thiago Silva, didn't put up much of a fight as a 3-to-1 underdog.

St. Preux scored a body kick and takedown within the first 30 seconds of the bout. He quickly passed guard into side control and set up the finishing sequence. It is the fourth submission win of the former collegiate wrestler's career.

A former Strikeforce standout, St. Preux has now won three in a row in the UFC. Krylov falls to 1-2 in the Octagon, with losses to St. Preux and Soa Palelei.

Gastelum stays unbeaten

Kelvin Gastelum survived a near knockout in the second round en route to a split decision over Rick Story.

Gastelum (8-0) was badly hurt by a pair of left hands in the middle frame, but rallied back in a close third round for his third UFC win. Two judges saw the fight for Gastelum 29-28 and 30-27. A third had it 29-28 for Story. "I expected an all-out war because Rick is a super tough guy," Gastelum said. "He's been near the top of the division for a long time for very good reason.

"This is a big win for me and I'm eager to hear who the UFC has next for me. I'm taking on all comers." Story (16-8) looked to pressure Gastelum early, but couldn't get out of the way of his jab and counter punching. He suffered a cut under his left eye almost immediately and was dropped midway through the round by a left head kick.

It was more of the same in the second round, as Gastelum dictated range and landed left hands and outside leg kicks at will. Things changed drastically late in the round, however, when Story landed a counter left cross that wobbled Gastelum's legs.

Hurt, Gastelum retreated backwards. In an ensuing exchange, Story landed a perfect straight left down the pipe that knocked Gastelum on his back. The round finished with Story standing over Gastelum's guard, throwing punches.

Gastelum regained his composure by the start of the third. His cleaner striking was evident again, as he worked behind the jab and rattled Story with the left. With two minutes remaining, Gastelum gave up his back in a scramble. Story worked briefly for a rear-naked choke, but eventually lost the position.

Winner of the 17th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series, Gastelum remains unbeaten in his professional career. Story drops to 9-6 in the UFC.

Bermudez earns sixth straight win

Dennis Bermudez continues to manhandle every featherweight the UFC puts in front of him.

Bermudez (13-3) ran his current win streak to six with a third-round TKO against Jimy Hettes. Referee Kerry Hatley called the bout 2:57 into the round.

It was a complete performance by Bermudez, capped off with a knee to Hettes' chin that prompted the stoppage. Even before that final shot, it was obvious Hettes was done, as he started falling to the floor after every Bermudez strike. Hettes (11-2) has his moments but could not consistently defend Bermudez's arsenal of takedowns. He was thrown on his head multiple times early and spent the final seconds of the first round fighting off a guillotine choke.

Bermudez hurt Hettes with a jab up against the fence in the second round. The punch knocked out Hettes' mouthpiece and sent him to the floor, where Bermudez followed with a swarm of punches. Hettes eventually survived to see the last round.

Fighting out of Lindenhurst, N.Y., Bermudez earns his first stoppage in the UFC. All five of his previous wins had been via decision.

Hettes falls to 3-2 in the Octagon.

Andrade edges Pennington

Jessica Andrade (11-3) improved to 2-1 in the UFC with a hard-fought split decision win over Raquel Pennington. Judges had the bout for Andrade 29-28, 29-28 and 28-29.

Persistence played a part in Andrade's win, as she walked through Pennington (4-4) counters throughout the fight to land offense of her own. She paid for the strategy at certain points in the fight, but never appeared hurt on her feet.

"It was a really good fight and it was very close," Andrade said. "For a minute there, I thought I lost it. I'm glad I was able to pull out the win.

"The choke wasn't really that tight. Honestly, I think she got tired holding on to it so it played to my advantage."

Andrade went up on the scorecards early, dragging Pennington down several times in the first round and working ground and pound. Pennington threatened briefly with an armbar from the bottom, but failed to secure the submission.

The action picked up on the feet in the following round, as Andrade started to land frequently with a lead left, right hand combination. Pennington stood her ground at times, firing off effective right-hand counters, but typically took the worst of it.

Late in the round, Pennington's five-inch height advantage nearly played a crucial role -- and surprisingly it had nothing to do with striking. As Andrade came forward, Pennington locked in a standing guillotine that nearly put Andrade out.

Andrade survived, however, and continued to pursue Pennington fearlessly in the final round. She caught Pennington with a flurry against the fence, but gave up a takedown late in the round.

A former contestant on "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series, Pennington falls to 1-1 in the Octagon. Andrade make it back-to-back wins. She outpointed Rosi Sexton in October.