UFC Fight Night roundup: Frankie Edgar dominates Urijah Faber

That patented Urijah Faber scrambling ability was still on display, but only defensively.

The former WEC champion never once threatened to take Frankie Edgar's back or establish top position. Edgar scored several takedowns in the fight, but was unable to do much with them, as Faber immediately popped up.

"I wanted to go out there and make a statement," Edgar said. "I won [five rounds to none], but Urijah is tough as hell, man.

"I said I wanted to push the pace like I always do. The takedowns were there but the dude is so technical, he was able to get up."

The closest round of the fight was the first. Faber landed the hardest punch of the first five minutes -- a counter overhand right that caught Edgar coming in. Edgar was the busier of the two, however, and responded throughout the round with leg kicks and boxing combinations.

By the end of the second round, Edgar started to find Faber's timing. Faber still managed to land a few successful counters and bloodied Edgar's nose with punches in the fourth round, but he clearly lost the majority of exchanges. Edgar started to put his stamp on the fight midway through, scoring takedowns in each of the final three rounds.

A former lightweight champion fighting out of Toms River, New Jersey, Edgar dropped to the featherweight division in 2013 and suffered a five-round loss to longtime champion Jose Aldo at UFC 156. Since then, the 33-year-old has gone 4-0, including wins over Cub Swanson and B.J. Penn.

Aldo (25-1) is scheduled to make his eighth title defense against Conor McGregor (17-2) at UFC 189 on July 11. With his current winning streak, Edgar represents a prime candidate to face the winner. Faber sees a two-fight win streak snapped in the loss.

Mousasi dominates Philippou

In his typically casual manner, Gegard Mousasi collected an easy win against Costas Philippou -- his fourth in the UFC.

Mousasi (37-5-2) essentially toyed with Philippou over a 15-minute span, slipping the majority of his opponent's punches and taking him down easily in all three rounds. Judges saw the middleweight contest unanimously for Mousasi, via scores of 30-27.

Philippou (13-5-1), who dropped to 1-3 in his last four fights, appeared to accept his fate early in the fight, as he never even came close to getting back to his feet after each takedown. He spent long stretches of the bout on his back, covering up from Mousasi punches.

Outside of two arm triangle attempts in the first round, Mousasi did not come close to finishing the fight -- but the result was never in doubt. After the second round, his corner could be heard saying "You are much better than him," and encouraged him to go for a finish.

Immediate cageside stats, provided by FightMetric, had Mousasi out-landing Philippou on total strikes 137-12.

Ultimately, Mousasi settled on the decision victory, his first since April 2013. It was his second consecutive win. The 29-year-old recorded a first-round TKO victory over Dan Henderson in January.

"His standup is dangerous; he has good knockout power," Mousasi said. "On the ground, I had an advantage. I played it smart. I'm not going to risk getting knocked out."

Munoz grinds down Barnatt

The "Filipino Wrecking Machine" terrorizing an opponent over three rounds in Manila? Sounds like a perfect end to Mark Munoz's career.

Munoz (14-6) capped off a 15-fight UFC career in style, dominating Luke Barnatt in a unanimous decision victory. The 37-year-old veteran announced before the fight that it would be his last. After the result was read, Munoz took off his UFC gloves and left them in the center of the cage.

A former NCAA wrestling champion at Oklahoma State University, Munoz won seven of eight fights from 2009 to 2011, but ultimately fell out of title contendership in recent years. He retires with a 9-6 overall record in the UFC.

"From the day I was a kid watching cartoons, I remember watching superheroes," Munoz said. "I get to re-enact that every time I step into the cage."

Munoz was outstanding in his last performance, earning unanimous judges' scores of 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28. He had Barnatt (8-3) hurt several times in the middleweight bout, but couldn't quite put him away, as the Brit proved to have a phenomenal chin down the stretch.

The difference in the fight was Munoz's pressure, as he relentlessly pursued single-leg takedowns, which had Barnatt constantly on the defensive. Two overhand rights hurt Barnatt in the first round, which Munoz capitalized on with a takedown and signature ground-and-pound.

In the middle frame it appeared that Munoz might have worn himself out pursuing an early finish, but he found a second win in the final round, landing more right hands as Barnatt attempted to come forward.

Before the fight, Munoz sold his Reign MMA training center in Southern California, but said he will continue to be involved in MMA. In his postfight interview, he expressed a desire to coach wrestling in the Philippines.

Barnatt, a former contestant on "The Ultimate Fighter," suffers his third consecutive loss.

Magny's momentum still going strong

Coming off a 2014 campaign in which he tied the modern-day record for wins in a calendar year, Neil Magny hasn't slowed down in 2015.

Magny (15-3) extended his win streak to seven with a TKO finish over Hyun Gyu Lim. Referee Steve Percival stopped the welterweight contest at 1:24 of the second round, as Magny moved to mount and landed a barrage of unanswered strikes.

Fighting out of Denver, Magny owns the longest active win streak in the division. He improved to 2-0 on the year, including two finishes.

Lim (13-5-1) nearly pulled off a knockout finish of his own in the opening round, as he caught Magny with a stiff right hand. Magny was visibly rocked by the punch and retreated to the cage while covering up.

The South Korean welterweight did his best to stop the fight, landing a few knees to Magny's body and head from the clinch, but Magny eventually worked his way into a clinch and took Lim down. After a brief armbar attempt by Lim, the fight moved back to the feet.

In the second round, Magny wasted no time taking Lim down. He moved immediately into full mount and started landing significant punches from the top, which led to the finish. Immediate cageside stats counted 64 total landed strikes by Magny, compared to 15 for Lim.

"After I got that first takedown, I realized he wasn't comfortable on the ground," Magny said. "I said, 'OK, cool. Let's get him on the ground and get a finish.'"