UFC president Dana White does not think Conor McGregor, one of his biggest stars, is truly retired.
During an appearance on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" on Wednesday, White was asked if he believes McGregor, 27, is done fighting.
"I do not," White said.
White has stated to multiple outlets that the decision to remove McGregor from the card was due to his unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas this week for promotional obligations. Diaz (19-10) flew into Las Vegas on Tuesday evening to promote the UFC 200 card, which will take place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Although White maintains he is not "mad" at McGregor and claims the relationship between fighter and promoter is not damaged, he strongly stated that every fighter on the roster is expected to promote his or her event. White referred to McGregor's unwillingness to do so as "weird."
McGregor (19-3) has not commented further. Earlier this month, McGregor was cageside at a mixed martial arts event in Ireland when a 28-year-old athlete from Portugal suffered severe head injuries during a fight. The fighter, Joao Carvalho, died days later in Dublin's Beaumont Hospital.
For now, McGregor remains the UFC's featherweight champion -- a title he won in December by knocking out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds at UFC 194. That title is apparently in jeopardy, however, as White said if the UFC doesn't hear from McGregor in the near future, he will be stripped of his belt.
In that event, a currently scheduled interim title fight between Aldo and Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 would be promoted to the vacant, undisputed title.
"That's the thing, Conor needs to clear up this whole retirement thing and clear it up fast," White said. "If he's retired, then UFC 200, Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar are fighting for the vacant title."