LAS VEGAS -- It ain't easy fighting Fabricio Werdum -- let alone on a few hours' notice.
Werdum (22-7) picked up a 65-second submission win over Walt Harris (10-6) at UFC 216 on Saturday. The heavyweight fight took place inside T-Mobile Arena.
It also took place under very strange circumstances. Werdum, 40, was scheduled to face Derrick Lewis, but Lewis withdrew from the fight the day of, citing injury. Harris was supposed to face Mark Godbeer on the prelims but agreed to move to the main card.
The fight played out as a total mismatch. A former UFC champion, Werdum took Harris down immediately and transitioned to his back when he attempted to scramble up. The armbar finish came moments later, as Harris tried to turn out of the poor position.
Originally from Brazil, now fighting out of Southern California, Werdum is 2-1 since losing his title to current champion Stipe Miocic via first-round knockout in May 2016. He suffered a decision loss to Alistair Overeem three months ago.
"The Overeem fight is the past, I want Stipe," Werdum said. "I want you, man. I want my belt back. One hundred percent, I got it."
Dunham, Dariush battle to split decision
Two judges scored the fight 28-28, while a third had it 29-28 for Dariush. ESPN scored it a tie, 28-28.
Dariush, who fights out of California, had Dunham badly hurt early. He dropped him with an elbow to the side of the head and unleashed several vicious ground strikes.
Dunham, 35, slowed Dariush's attack by rolling for his legs and eventually working back to his feet. Before he was able to do so, however, he ate two hard knees to the body in a crouched position.
The second and third rounds were much better for Dunham though, as he kept Dariush guessing with some awkward movement and counterstrikes. He scored a hard left hand in the final frame, as Dariush threw a leg kick.
The Las Vegas crowd applauded Dunham's resiliency.
"I'm from Vegas, baby," Dunham said. "We don't give up. We never back down. We fight our ass off, no matter who you are. Vegas, don't quit. Vegas strong, baby."
Late replacement Borella scores first-round submission
Italian flyweight Mara Romero Borella (12-4) submitted Kalindra Faria (18-6-1) just 2:54 into the first round with a rear-naked choke in a bout she took on extremely short notice.
The UFC only announced Borella's addition to the event this week, due to various circumstances. Borella, who fought in all-female promotion Invicta FC previously, showed no signs of the short notice, as she took Faria down easily and finished the fight.
It is Borella's fifth win by submission. Faria, of Brazil, sees a three-fight win streak snapped. It was also her first fight in the UFC.