New York police have charged UFC star Conor McGregor with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief after he turned himself in following an incident Thursday in Brooklyn, according to the New York City Police Department.
McGregor, 29, unexpectedly showed up at a UFC 223 media event Thursday at Barclays Center and was caught on camera throwing a hand dolly through the window of a bus that was carrying UFC fighters.
MMA fighter Cian Cowley, who was part of McGregor's group that caused the melee, also was charged with assault and criminal mischief.
The UFC lost three fights for its Saturday pay-per-view event due to the incident involving McGregor, the UFC said in a statement late Thursday.
Lightweight Michael Chiesa (14-3) has been pulled from a scheduled bout against Anthony Pettis because of facial lacerations. Flyweight Ray Borg (11-3) has been forced out of a bout against Brandon Moreno because of what the UFC described as multiple corneal abrasions. Both injuries were allegedly caused by McGregor's actions.
"A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223," Chiesa wrote on Twitter. "I'm devastated to say the least. [Pettis], I hope to run this match up ASAP, June 9 in your backyard. That's all I have to say for now. Much love."
McGregor's own teammate Artem Lobov (13-14-1) had earlier been pulled from his fight against Alex Caceres because of his participation in the incident. Earlier this week, Lobov was involved in a minor hotel scuffle with UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov, who is scheduled to fight Saturday against Max Holloway.
"To be honest, I don't want [McGregor] to go to jail," Nurmagomedov told MMAFighting.com. "We have to fight. If we have to fight, let's fight. Send me location. Please, we have to fix this. Me and you. One-on-one. You want 10-on-10? OK.
"I give his whole team slap and no one say anything. He come with media, with cameras when I'm alone. Of course I want to go outside, but they don't let me leave the bus. He knows this.
"They don't do nothing. I'm here."
UFC president Dana White condemned McGregor's behavior Thursday, calling it "the most disgusting thing that has ever happened" in UFC history. White said credentialed journalists from McGregor's website, The Mac Life, let McGregor and a large entourage into Barclays Center.
In an official statement Thursday evening, the UFC stated, "Lobov has been removed from this weekend's card and individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow's ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday's event at Barclays Center."
ESPN's Brett Okamoto and The Associated Press contributed to this report.