The expiration date on Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone's patience is fast approaching.
Cerrone (35-11) has been in talks with the UFC since his last fight in January, regarding a potential non-title bout against Conor McGregor. According to Cerrone, the UFC initially wanted it to happen on April 13, before exploring the possibility of July 6.
UFC commentator Joe Rogan recently said on a podcast that talks with McGregor hit a snag because the UFC wants him to appear in a co-main event. Cerrone, who met with UFC president Dana White last week in Las Vegas, confirmed to ESPN he has been told the same.
"Conor won't fight unless it's a main event," Cerrone said. "I don't know if it's an ego thing or a status thing for him. I don't give a s---. I'll fight anyone, anywhere, and I stand by that all the time. I guess he's a prima donna and only takes main event spots. I don't know."
Cerrone, 35, said he intends to fight by July 6, one way or another. White told ESPN last week the UFC is considering booking a fight between Cerrone and ranked lightweight Al Iaquinta. Cerrone said he doesn't care who the opponent is and would "fight [heavyweight] Brock Lesnar" if it were offered.
That said, Cerrone admitted he is annoyed that McGregor (21-4) has failed to accept the matchup thus far. McGregor endorsed the fight on social media in January after Cerrone's win against Alexander Hernandez.
"We were all waiting on Conor for April, and he said he wasn't ready," Cerrone said. "I don't know how in one breath you can say, 'I'll fight anyone, anytime, anywhere,' and the next one say, 'I'm not ready for that one.'
"I'm more annoyed that he went radio silent after putting it out. I get it, you want to stay relevant by putting it out there, but then you can't go radio silent. Sack up, b----. Sign the f---ing paper."
McGregor's representatives did not immediately respond to request for comment.
There is a precedent of McGregor headlining UFC pay-per-views in non-title situations. Both of McGregor's non-title bouts against Nate Diaz in 2016 headlined their respective events, and both delivered big numbers for the promotion.
Cerrone said he does believe a fight between him and McGregor is worthy of a main event -- but he doesn't make those decisions and is tired of sitting through negotiations.
"I call the UFC and tell them what to do, they tell me to shut the f--- up and go sit in the corner," Cerrone said. "I don't have any say on that stuff. What I do know is July is the latest I'm fighting. That's the f---ing latest. I will not wait longer than that."