UFC 247 Live results, analysis: Derrick Lewis' strong finish proves decisive

Derrick Lewis threw everything he had at Ilir Latifi, especially late, but he couldn't land a knockout punch. Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

HOUSTON -- Derrick Lewis feasted on home cooking.

Fighting in his adopted hometown of Houston, Lewis rode the cheers of an adoring crowd as well as some friendly scoring by the judges to pull out a unanimous decision victory over Ilir Latifi at UFC 247 at the Toyota Center on Saturday night.

Lewis, who turned 35 on Friday, showed strong takedown defense early on against Latifi, a career light heavyweight who in his youth was a wrestler on the national team in his native Sweden. Lewis (23-7, 1 NC) fended off all three of his opponent's takedown tries in the first round, keeping the fight on the feet, where his punching power and creative kicking gave him the edge.

Latifi's grappling took over in Round 2, though, as he was successful on both takedown attempts and spent much of the round on top in Lewis' half guard. Latifi did not land much damage, however, and referee Dan Miragliotta stood the fighters back up despite the advanced position.

But Latifi took Lewis right back down, flinging the bigger man to the canvas.

Latifi (14-8, 1 NC), who at 5-foot-10 is short for a light heavyweight, weighed in on Friday at 241.5 pounds. The 6-foot-3 Lewis, a native of New Orleans who relocated to Houston as a teen, came in at 261.5 pounds.

Lewis was creative and explosive with his attacks, particularly flying knees. But Latifi avoided serious damage and always seemed to have a counter, staying clinched with Lewis to nullify his power. In Round 3, Lewis came out throwing huge shots, but he never connected on the button. When Latifi scored another takedown, there was a groan from the crowd.

But midway through the round, with Latifi again in half guard, Miragliotta once again stood the fighters up. This riled up the fans, who began chanting, "Lewis! Lewis!"

Lewis came on strong in the final minute, throwing everything at a tiring Latifi and appearing to rock him a bit. But the rally came too late to get a finish, leaving the fight in the hands of the judges. All three scored it 29-28.

In the end, UFC Stats did not credit Latifi with even a single ground strike, despite him clearly landing again and again to the body while on top. But statistically, for what it's worth, Latifi is the seventh heavyweight to land at least three takedowns and not attempt a single ground strike. The last heavyweight to do so was Blagoy Ivanov, who did it in Lewis' most recent previous fight, at UFC 244 last year.

"Fighting in Houston was almost nerve-racking, all the adrenaline," Lewis said. "The crowd helped me push at the end. That was a good job from them; it really helped me out. I knew it would be a close call, especially with the takedowns, but most of his shots I was blocking, and I was controlling him. All he got were the takedowns. The flying knees just came from being in better shape. I still have a lot to improve, and there is a lot more in my arsenal that people haven't seen yet.

"I'm healthy right now, so I can come back in for a quick replacement for Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Francis Ngannou [on March 28], if needed."

It was Lewis' second straight win, giving him 14 in the UFC, the fourth most in heavyweight history.

-- Wagenheim

Light heavyweight: Jon Jones (c) (26-1, 1 NC, -550) defeats Dominick Reyes (12-1) by unanimous decision

Complete recap here.

Flyweight: Valentina Shevchenko (c) (19-3) defeats Katlyn Chookagian (13-3) by TKO in third round

Complete recap here.

Heavyweight: Justin Tafa (4-1) defeats Juan Adams (5-3) by TKO in first round

Tafa did what he always does: He finished the fight. This one came quickly, and it was special, because it was his first UFC victory.

The 26-year-old New Zealander softened Adams with a left hook in an early exchange, pursued him across the Octagon and finished him with an explosive two-punch combination: a right hook, then a right uppercut. The finish came at 1:59 of Round 1.

For Tafa (4-1), all of his fights have ended with finishes.

For Adams, who was fighting in his hometown, it was his second straight loss after a 5-0 start to his career. None of his fights has gone to decision, either.

After finishing Adams, Tafa shifted his focus to a hero of his from New Zealand.

"Shoutout to my legend, Mark Hunt," he said. "You're the man!"

-- Wagenheim

Men's featherweight: Dan Ige (13-2) defeats Mirsad Bektic (13-3) by split decision

Bektic had Ige in what appeared to be a solid arm triangle choke at the end of the second round. In reality, Ige had Bektic exactly where he wanted him.

"I was coming for him in the third round," Ige said. "I was coming to break him."

Ige said the choke wasn't tight at all and that Bektic was burning out his arms by squeezing it. In the third, in a very tight fight, Ige did enough to win a split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

Ige came out firing in the first, landing hard shots with frequency on the feet. The bout turned in the second round when the bigger, stronger Bektic was able to muscle Ige to the ground. He spent a good deal of the second on top of Ige and had mount toward the end, attempting to lock in that choke. It didn't work.

"There's no one in this world that can dig deeper than I can," Ige said.

Ige came back out for the third and won a very close round that was filled with clinching. Bektic wasn't able to get him back in that precarious position on his back.

Ige, 28, has won five straight in the UFC's featherweight division, tied for the fourth-best current streak. The Hawaii native boasts a 5-1 UFC record.

Bektic, a 28-year-old Bosnia native who trains out of Montreal, has now lost two straight and three of five.

-- Raimondi

Middleweight: Trevin Giles def. James Krause by split decision


Krause takes Giles to the ground

James Krause takes Trevin Giles to the ground as he attempts to submit him in the first round.

In a bout that wasn't officially on the card until about 24 hours prior, Giles gutted out a very tough split decision win (29-28, 28-29, 29-28). After losing the first round in lopsided fashion on the ground, Giles stayed on his feet in the second and third and landed big shots on Krause en route to the victory.

Giles was supposed to fight Antonio Arroyo on Saturday night. But Arroyo fell ill due to cramps following a tough weight cut on Friday. He was transported to the hospital, and UFC doctors took him off the card.

Giles is a Houston resident and an officer in the city's police force. He wanted to fight, and the UFC sought out an alternative. Krause was in town to corner his teammate Youssef Zalal. The welterweight stepped in, moving up to middleweight with no training camp to fight Giles.

Krause looked solid in the first round, taking Giles down, getting his back and working on several rear-naked choke attempts. Giles stuffed all of Krause's takedowns thereafter and hit him with some big right crosses and left hooks, bloodying Krause in the second and rocking him in the third.

"Let me tell you something, this man is tough," Giles said.

Krause had some moments in the third. He landed four good right hands, though not with enough power to rock Giles. It was an extremely gutty performance given he had no idea he would be fighting 24 hours earlier.

"This is what I do 24/7," Krause said. "I'm just glad I could go out, give Trevin a good fight, give you guys a good fight."

Giles, 27, snapped a two-fight losing streak. The Texas native earned his first victory since 2017.

Krause, 33, out of Glory MMA & Fitness in Missouri, had a six-fight winning streak snapped with the loss.

Women's flyweight: Lauren Murphy def. Andrea Lee by split decision


Murphy lands takedown of Lee in first

Lauren Murphy lands a takedown of Andrea Lee in the first round, but not before Lee knees Murphy in the chin.

Murphy took a while -- and some early damage -- before getting going, but she kept moving forward and mixed in solid punches with timely takedowns to eke out a decision in her hometown.

It is her second straight victory -- the first time since 2013 that she has won consecutive fights. It also is the first time Lee has lost two in a row.

Lee, who fights out of Shreveport, Louisiana, started strongly, landing almost everything she threw in the opening minutes. But Murphy did not back up and gradually picked up on Lee's timing and started landing counter shots. Lee started slowing down ever so slightly, and her accuracy suffered.

Early in the third round, Murphy, fighting out of the MMA LAB in Phoenix, lost balance and fell to the canvas while missing a flying knee, and Lee took advantage, securing a choke. But Murphy calmly worked her way out of it and ended up on top of Lee for much of the rest of the round.

Two judges scored the bout 29-28, one for each fighter, and the third judge had it 30-27 for Murphy, who acknowledged afterward that she was not confident that the close fight had gone her way.

"I'm never confident when it goes to decision, man," she said.

As for her next step, Murphy mentioned a bout with Roxanne Modafferi, who recently beat Maycee Barber at UFC 246.

"I called out Roxanne in the Octagon, but really I'd face her or Jojo [Calderwood] next," Murphy said after the fight. "Either one. I think they are the only ones in the top 5, because Viviane [Araujo] is coming from a loss, [Jennifer] Maia and [Jessica] Eye both missed weight. So Jojo and Roxanne are the only ones right now coming from wins and making weight, so they are the only ones I'm interested in facing next."

Welterweight: Khaos Williams (10-1) defeats Alex Morono (17-6) by first-round KO

Williams' real name is Kalinn, but fans got a glimpse into why his preferred moniker is Khaos. In his UFC debut on short notice, Williams pummeled Morono, leading to a knockout at just 27 seconds of the first round.

Williams caught Morono with a looping left hand early, stunning the UFC veteran. Williams then pounced, caught Morono against the cage and threw huge punches until he was pulled off. Morono was never able to recover from the initial blow.

Morono was initially scheduled to fight Dhiego Lima, but Lima withdrew with an injury, and Williams stepped in on two weeks' notice.

Williams cashed as a +275 underdog. The Michigan native notched the sixth-fastest UFC welterweight debut in history, and it was the fastest finish in a UFC debut since Kenan Song stopped Bobby Nash in 15 seconds in November 2017.

Williams, 25, has won seven straight, four of which came in 2019. Nicknamed "The Oxfighter," Williams comes from the Michigan regional MMA scene. Morono, a 29-year-old Texas native, had won three straight coming in.

"The dude was a hometown guy, 17-5, so it was a pretty incredible win," Williams said. "Like I said, Khaos Williams, get used to the name, I'll be here and I'm here to stay. I'm the future and one day I'll be fighting for the title.

"It felt great walking down to the Octagon for the first time. I never fold under pressure, I always perform better under pressure."

-- Raimondi

Men's bantamweight: Mario Bautista (8-1) defeats Miles Johns (10-1) by KO in the second round

It had been a technical standup fight from distance for the first 6½ minutes until Bautista closed the distance in a flash and landed a flying knee that handed Johns his first career loss.

Bautista, a 26-year-old who fights out of The MMA Lab in Glendale, Arizona, showed off constant movement from the start. That made it difficult for the compact Johns to set up his power shots, although the fighter from Fortis MMA in Dallas did land one looping overhand right that knocked Bautista off balance.

"I wanted to prove to everyone that I wasn't just a brawler, like in my last fight," said Bautista, whose only loss came in his UFC debut against top-10 bantamweight Cory Sandhagen. "I wanted to take my time, pick my shots."

That he did, crushing Johns, 25, with a flying knee before finishing the fight at 1:41 of Round 2 with ground-and-pound strikes. For Bautista, it is his sixth finish -- three by submission, three by TKO.

"We watched his past fights. He is a lot shorter than me, kind of hangs his head in the center, doesn't really move off line. Working with my striking coach back at home, we do that flying knee all the time, so it was something that we had seen -- and it worked," Bautista said.

"You can't really be thinking about your opponent's record. If you think about the record, it's always going to be in your mind that he is unbeatable. But to me, I've seen his last fight, I thought he lost and we just saw a lot of holes in his game. I trained with a great camp, and we had a great game plan -- and it worked tonight."

-- Wagenheim

Men's bantamweight: Journey Newson (10-2) defeats Domingo Pilarte (8-3) by TKO in first round

For a second, it looked like it would be a rough go for Newson. Pilarte came out firing and caught him with a hard head kick. Newson, though, quickly turned things around. He crushed Pilarte with a right hand, then pounced with shots on the ground as Pilarte covered up.

Referee Jacob Montalvo stopped the bout at just 38 seconds of the first round.

"He hit me with that head kick, but I came back to and remembered the game plan," Newson said.

It was the quickest win of Newson's career and the eighth fastest KO/TKO in UFC bantamweight history, per ESPN Stats & Information data.

Newson, 30, earned his first UFC victory with the finish. The Oregon resident had won six straight prior to losing to Ricardo Ramos in June in his UFC debut last.

Pilarte, 30, who was fighting in his hometown, has lost two straight and is still searching for his first UFC win.

"This was unreal. Period. Unreal," Newson said. "It was the game plan all along. I have a devastating right hand, and when he clipped me with that head kick, my basic instinct was just to go to that right hand, and it worked. That head kick possibly caused a fracture; we are going to have that checked. It kind of hurts right now, especially to talk, but it is worth it.

"Now, I just want to go to the hospital, make sure everything is OK with my face and later start looking for next opponents."

-- Raimondi

Men's bantamweight: Andre Ewell (16-6) defeats Jonathan Martinez (11-3) by split decision


Ewell, Martinez trade blows at end of first round

Andre Ewell and Jonathan Martinez trade blows in their UFC 247 early prelims bout. Order UFC 247 here on ESPN+ https://plus.espn.com/ufc/ppv.

Ewell somehow took the decision despite being badly hurt by body kicks in both the first and second rounds and fighting the entire third round with what appeared to be a compromised right wrist.

Ewell and Martinez engaged on the feet throughout, with each man landing his share in the first two rounds. Round 1 ended with a wild flurry in which both fighters absorbed some blows but narrowly avoided the biggest shots. Martinez twice backed up Ewell with body kicks but was unable to capitalize on his hurt opponent.

The same was true in Round 3, in which Ewell was reduced to mostly throwing kicks and left hands, along with the occasional awkward right. Nonetheless, at least one judge gave Ewell that round, scoring the fight 30-27. The other two judges had it 29-28, with one favoring each fighter.

"My opponent was great," Ewell said. "He ended up breaking my forearm with some kicks when I tried to block them and it was kind of difficult only having one arm to use. Besides that, it was really fun.

"I kind of felt that I won two rounds, the second and the third. The first one could have been debatable, because I know he hit me in the body, but then I dropped him and ended up kind of getting that round back. I felt like, if anything, it should have been a 29 or 30-28, but things happen. I'm not mad at it. "

-- Wagenheim

Men's featherweight: Youssef Zalal (8-2) defeats Austin Lingo (7-1) by unanimous decision


Lingo escapes submission attempt, Zalal counters

After Youssef Zalal can't submit Austin Lingo, Zalal lands a massive head kick in the second round. Order UFC 247 here on ESPN+ https://plus.espn.com/ufc/ppv.

It was almost like a Dana White's Contender Series fight on the prelims of a pay-per-view. Zalal and Lingo were both making their UFC debut, it was a short-notice fight and an impressive victory would prove at least one of them belonged.

Zalal was the athlete who stood out most in an impressive victory by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27). Zalal won every round, bloodied Lingo with strikes in the first and put him in trouble with several D'arce choke attempts in the second and third rounds.

Zalal was supposed to have teammate James Krause in his corner for this fight, but Krause took a fight Saturday night against Trevin Giles on just a day's notice on Friday.

Zalal has now won two straight. The 23-year-old Morrocco native had finished all of his previous victories. Lingo, a 25-year-old Dallas resident, was undefeated coming in, with five of his wins coming via finish.

"It felt amazing to make my UFC debut here in Houston, opening up a pay-per-view event," Zalal said. "I know I belong in there.

"I was supposed to control the middle more -- go in, have my fun -- but hey, it's my UFC debut. Like my manager just said, I should just have fun now and enjoy my win. Twelve days ago, I wasn't even in the UFC. Now I'm in the UFC and with a win. I'm very grateful and blessed to be here now, and I will stay ready for whatever comes next."

-- Raimondi