ESPN Network:

  Scores
  Schedules
  Standings
  Statistics
  Transactions
  Injuries
  Players
  Message Board
  Power Rankings
  NBA StatSearch
  NBA en español
Clubhouses



  MLB
    Scores
  Golf | British Op.
    Scores
  Soccer
    Scores
  WNBA
    Scores
  NFL
  RPM.ESPN.com
  Col. Football
  NBA
  M Col. BB | Recruit
  NHL
  W Col. BB
  College Sports
  Tennis
  Outdoors
  Boxing
  Horse Racing
  Action Sports
  Soccernet.com
  ESPNdeportes


Thursday, July 19, 2001
Johnson will back up Van Exel



DENVER -- The Denver Nuggets have signed free-agent point guard Avery Johnson.

Avery Johnson
Johnson

Johnson was offered a three-year deal worth an estimated $14.4 million to join the Nuggets as the backup to Nick Van Exel.

Johnson received the Nuggets' midlevel exception, which was expected to be worth $4.5 million for the first year.

Free agents were eligible to begin signing contracts on Wednesday.

Before the league and the players' union agreed on the new salary cap, the limit increased on an interim basis Wednesday morning from $35.5 million to only $35.96 million.

For the past several days, Johnson and his wife Cassandra remained in Denver, looking for a home and for schools for their two children.

Johnson, 36, who played for the Nuggets in 1990-91, won an NBA title in 1999 with the San Antonio Spurs, for whom he played the last seven seasons. He started 20 games for the Spurs last season, averaging 5.6 points and 4.3 assists, and he provides solid leadership.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets continued to negotiate with Kiki Vandeweghe, the front-runner to become the team's new general manager.

Vandeweghe, currently the Dallas Mavericks' director of player development, interviewed for an assistant-coach position with the Nuggets last month but indicated a desire to get into management.

Vandeweghe, who played for Denver in 1980-84, met with Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke for a second time Tuesday night. Nuggets president and head coach Dan Issel said a third meeting is planned this week.

"I talked with Stan and Kiki this morning, and they both sound optimistic that we can work something out," Issel said. "We want Kiki here. If it's in the role of general manager, we'll have to surround him with some experienced people. If we can come up with some position that combines his player-development skills and his desire to work in the front office, I think he'd like to be with us.

"Kiki brings a lot of things to the table. He's one of the premier player-development people in this league right now. He gets a lot of credit for the improvement that Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash showed this past season. He's very bright, and he knows a lot of people around the league."

Issel said there was "not as much immediacy" in reaching agreement with a general manager as in signing free agents.

McKie nets $42 million, seven-year deal
PHILADELPHIA -- Aaron McKie, the NBA's sixth man of the year, signed a seven-year, $42 million deal to stay with the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday.

Aaron McKie
McKie

The deal guarantees McKie $35.5 million, but could reach $42 million with incentives.

"I didn't know if it was just negotiation tactics or whatever, but it got sticky," McKie said. "This is my home. I love the city. I love the fans, the energy they bring. I didn't want to leave."

McKie, who grew up in Philadelphia and starred at Temple, agreed to terms with the Sixers last week. He couldn't sign a contract until the NBA lifted its 2½-week moratorium on free agent signings at midnight Tuesday.

Dikembe Mutombo, the NBA's defensive player of the year, agreed to terms last week on a four-year deal worth more than $65 million. Sixers general manager Billy King said Mutombo will sign his contract Thursday.

"The two top priorities were Dikembe and Aaron," King said. "I'm glad we're able to get that accomplished and the next step is to figure out what to do with Todd (MacCulloch.)"

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to a six-year, $33.75 million deal with MacCulloch, the Sixers' backup center. Once the contract is signed, Philadelphia has 15 days to match the offer because MacCulloch is a restricted free agent.

McKie averaged career highs in points (11.6), rebounds (4.1), assists (five), steals (1.39) and minutes (31.5). He started 33 of the 76 games in which he played during the regular season mainly because of injuries to point guard Eric Snow.

McKie again replaced Snow in the starting lineup during the playoffs and averaged 14.6 points in the postseason, helping the Sixers reach the finals for the first time in 18 years.

"Aaron gave us everything," King said. "He gave us points when we needed buckets. When we needed defense, he gave it to us. When we needed him to play point, he did everything. He played small forward. He is like Bobby Jones when the Sixers were in their heyday."

McKie received offers from at least two other teams, including a lucrative deal from the Atlanta Hawks.

Raptors keep Jerome Williams with seven-year deal
TORONTO -- Forward Jerome Williams signed a seven-year, $40.8 million contract with the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday.

Jerome Williams
Williams

Williams, also known as 'Junk Yard Dog,' quickly became a fan favorite in Toronto after being acquired from Detroit on Feb. 23. The 6-foot-9 forward said Vince Carter made him feel welcome as soon as he joined the team.

"Vince weighed into my decision," Williams said. "He was the first player on the team to step up and be a part of the 'Junk Yard Dog' dog pound. The high socks and the head bands started with Vince Carter, so that was his way of showing the dog that he wanted me to stick around."

Williams averaged five points and four rebounds and 14.5 minutes last season for the Raptors. He has averaged 6.2 points and 6.4 rebounds in his career.

"I really enjoyed all the warmth that I received from the fans and the organization and just people in Canada in general," Williams said. "When I closed my eyes and pictured myself in a different uniform, the only uniform I could think of was a Raptor uniform."

Williams is expected to get more minutes now that Charles Oakley has been traded to Chicago for Brian Skinner.

Toronto general manager Glen Grunwald said the team was no closer to signing free agent guard Alvin Williams.

"We've made a tremendous offer to Alvin and we're waiting to hear back," Grunwald said. "We've had some difficulty getting Alvin done, which is part of the process, but again I remain hopeful that Alvin will sign.

Chicago and Atlanta are also interested in Alvin Williams.

The Raptors are also trying to sign an extension with Carter, who becomes a restricted free agent next summer.

"It think the signings help," Grunwald said. "Vince's biggest concern is that he wants to play for a winning team that can compete for a championship, and I think bringing these players back shows that that's what we're doing."

Bulls sign Eddie Robinson to offer sheet
NEW YORK -- As expected, the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday signed restricted free agent forward Eddie Robinson to an offer sheet reportedly worth $32 million over five years.

Eddie Robinson
Robinson

The Charlotte Hornets have 15 days to match the offer.

The Bulls, who acquired veteran power forward Charles Oakley last Friday, had more than enough room under the cap to make Robinson a substantial offer and promised him a starting role.

The 6-foot-9, 210-pound Robinson was a swingman for the Hornets last season and averaged 7.2 points and 2.9 rebounds, shooting 54 percent from the floor, in only 17.2 minutes per game.

In Chicago, Robinson, 25, would start alongside Oakley. Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry, the high school players selected by the Bulls in the NBA Draft, will likely play at center and forward.

The Bulls on Wednesday also renounced the rights to guard Corey Benjamin, forward Steve Goodrich and center Dragan Tarlac.

Celtics keep Palacio for two more seasons
BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics and free agent guard Milt Palacio have signed an agreement that will keep the guard with the team for two more years.

The team did not disclose terms of the deal, but the two-year contract is worth about $1.43 million, according to Palacio's agent, Bill Duffy.

Wednesday was the first day NBA teams could sign free agents.

"It's good for Milt," Duffy said. "He's not going to be able to retire on this contract, but it's a good situation for him in Boston."

Palacio, 23, appeared in 56 games in two stints with the Celtics last season. He was with the team Dec. 6-Jan. 5, rejoined the team Jan. 9 and was signed for the rest of the season Jan. 30.

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said the team also has started the process of offering Paul Pierce a contract extension.

"We're working on Paul," Wallace said. "I think Paul wants to stay here, and we want Paul."

Pierce is eligible to sign a six-year extension which would kick in after the coming season. He is under contract for next season for $2.05 million.

Carter reportedly will return to Heat with three-year deal
MIAMI -- The Miami Heat apparently have decided that Anthony Carter is their point guard of the future.

Anthony Carter
Carter

The Miami Herald reported Tuesday that the Heat have re-signed Carter to a three-year contract worth $12 million.

Signings cannot officially be announced until Wednesday.

A contract expension for Carter likely means the Heat will not try to re-sign point guard Tim Hardaway, whose effectiveness in the playoffs last season was severely hampered due to an ankle injury. Miami was swept in the first round by the Charlotte Hornets.

Carter, 25, who was signed by the Heat out of the CBA prior to the 1999-00 season, averaged 6.4 points and 3.7 assists in 22.6 minutes per game last season.

Carter needs to improve his shooting, especially with the NBA legalizing zone defenses. He shot just 40.6 percent from the field last year and committed 10 turnovers in 69 minutes in the playoff loss to Charlotte.

Hawks agree to terms with Mohammed
ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Hawks said Wednesday they have agreed to terms with backup center Nazr Mohammed.

Nazr Mohammed
Mohammed

Terms of the contract were not disclosed. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution earlier reported it was a five-year deal that could earn Mohammed more than $28.5 million.

The actual contract would not be signed until Thursday because of salary cap issues, the team said.

Mohammed joined the Hawks in a Feb. 23 trade that sent Dikembe Mutombo to the Philadelphia 76ers. He averaged 12.3 points and nine rebounds in 28 games with Atlanta, starting the last 19.

Mohammed, 23, is expected to play a backup role to Theo Ratliff, who also came to the Hawks in the Mutombo deal, along with Toni Kukoc. Atlanta traded for Shareef Abdur-Rahim on the eve of this year's draft, further beefing up its front line.

The Hawks had a franchise-worst record of 25-57 last season.



 ESPN Tools
Email story
 
Most sent stories

ESPN.com:  HELP |  ADVERTISER INFO |  CONTACT US |  TOOLS |  SITE MAP
Copyright ©2001 ESPN Internet Group. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information are applicable to this site. Employment opportunities at ESPN.com.