Rider makes court appearance on kidnapping charge

MARIN, Calif. -- Troubled former NBA player Isaiah Rider
appeared in court Friday to face kidnapping charges but did not
enter a plea because he did not have a lawyer.

Rider, 34, was arrested Thursday on charges of kidnapping and
battery, said Sgt. Bruce Baker of the Marin County Sheriff's
office. Rider, who also faces an outstanding warrant for resisting
arrest in Alameda County, was released Friday from Marin County
Jail on $2 million bail.

Rider allegedly got into an argument Wednesday night with the
unidentified female acquaintance and drove off with her against her
will, Baker said. The woman began to scream, attracting the
attention of police. Authorities tracked Rider down early Thursday
morning and arrested him, Baker said. The woman was not injured.

Rider told Marin County Superior Court Judge Verna Adams that he
had called his lawyers but no one showed up. The public defender's
office offered to consult with Rider but he said he would be
represented by a private attorney.

Adams ordered Rider to return to court Monday.

Rider racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and
suspensions in his NBA career, which ended in 2001. His offenses
ranged from being tardy to practice to spitting at fans and airport
personnel to crimes of assault and marijuana possession.

He spent two days in jail for failing to perform court-ordered
community service for a 1994 assault charge -- kicking a woman in
the back after a disagreement at an autograph signing.

In May 1997 he was convicted of marijuana possession and later
pleaded no contest to possessing unregistered cellular phones.

Rider was the fifth overall pick by Minnesota in the 1993 NBA
draft and spent three seasons with the Timberwolves, winning the
slam dunk championship his rookie season.

He was then traded to Portland in 1996 and spent three seasons
with the Trail Blazers. He was suspended for a total of 12 games
during his time in Portland, including three by the NBA in 1997 for
spitting at a fan in Detroit.

After getting traded to Atlanta for Steve Smith on Aug. 2, 1999,
Rider was late to his first day of camp, and never could get along
with coach Lenny Wilkens. He was released in March 2000 after
refusing to accept a three-game suspension for being late to a

He spent the 2000-01 season with the Los Angeles Lakers and was
suspended five games that season for violating the league's
anti-drug program.

He joined Denver the next season and was waived in November 2001
after playing just 10 games with the Nuggets. Rider never played
again in the NBA.

Rider averaged 16.8 points per game in his career.