EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Clifford Robinson and the Nets have reached a tentative agreement on a new contract that will keep the
troubled forward in New Jersey for another season, agent Brad
Marshall said Friday.
Earlier in the day, the Nets complied with an NBA deadline and announced that they had declined to exercise a $2.5 million option
on Robinson's existing contract.
That made Robinson a free agent and gave the two sides a chance to work out a new deal for Robinson, who damaged the team's playoff
chances six weeks ago when he was suspended for five games during
the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Miami Heat for
violating terms of the NBA's drug policy.
The series was tied 1-1 at the time, and the Nets lost the next three games to the eventual champion Miami Heat.
"More than anything, this gives Clifford an opportunity to make
amends for the thing that happened last year," Marshall said in a
telephone interview with The Associated Press. "He loves the
organization, his teammates and the fans and he feels badly about
what occurred. It's a good opportunity for him. It's a good thing
for both sides."
Nets president Rod Thorn was out of the office and he did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
Marshall refused to disclose terms of the new contract, which he
characterized as all but done. He said that the 39-year-old
Robinson would be paid about $2.5 million, the same amount he made
last season, when he averaged 6.9 points and 3.3 rebounds in 80
New Jersey also waived forward Scott Padgett, who saw very little playing time in the postseason.
Robinson's suspension was his second in two seasons. He was also
suspended five games in February 2005 while playing for Golden
Under terms of last year's collective bargaining agreement, players are five games for a third positive test for marijuana.
The 17-year veteran had 23 double-figure scoring games this past season, and he twice scored 20-plus points. He has career averages
of 14.6 points and 4.6 rebounds in 1,330 games with five different