Autopsy shows Griffin had more than 3 times blood-alcohol limit

HOUSTON -- Former NBA player Eddie Griffin had more than
three times the legal alcohol limit in his system when he crashed
his sport utility vehicle into a moving train and died this summer,
according to an autopsy report released Friday.

The Harris County Medical Examiner's office said the 25-year-old
Griffin died of "multiple blunt force injuries.'' The medical
examiner's office performed tests on Griffin's bile and blood from
his heart and liver and determined his blood-alcohol level was
0.26. The legal limit in Texas is 0.08.

Tests found no traces of cocaine, amphetamines or any other

The 6-foot-10 Griffin was killed about 1:20 a.m. on Aug. 17. His
injuries from the fiery crash included two collapsed lungs, a
lacerated liver and kidney, four broken ribs and burns over most of
his body.

Griffin was born in Philadelphia and was considered one of the
nation's top prospects coming out of Roman Catholic High School. He
averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks as a freshman at
Seton Hall, but he got into a fight with a teammate during the
2000-01 season, a sign of the problems to come.

He was drafted seventh overall in 2001 by New Jersey, and was
immediately dealt to Houston. Griffin averaged 8.7 points, 5.8
rebounds and 1.63 blocks over his first two seasons with the
Rockets. In November 2003, he was charged with aggravated assault
with a deadly weapon, after a woman claiming to be his girlfriend
accused him of punching her in the face and shooting a pistol at
her car as she drove away.

Griffin missed practices and a team flight, and the Rockets
suspended him, then cut him in December 2003. He quickly signed with
the Nets, but he was soon jailed for a violation tied to the
shooting incident and linked to a late-night fight at a New Jersey

Minnesota signed him for 2004-05 season. He occasionally put up
big numbers with the Wolves, but also continued to find trouble off
the court.

He pleaded guilty early in the 2006-07 season after hitting a
parked car while out late one night in Minneapolis. He was later
suspended by the NBA for five games in January for violating the
anti-drug program and the Wolves cut him in March 2007.

Griffin was living in Houston at the time of his death and
talked about making a professional comeback only weeks before the
fatal crash.