Kevin McHale: Nearly all of Rockets made it home after Game 4

HOUSTON -- Rockets coach Kevin McHale said Tuesday nearly the entire team arrived safely at their homes following Monday's Game 4 of the Western Conference finals after severe storms battered the area.

McHale said as far as he knew no player was stuck on the side of the road because of flooding in the Houston area.

Star center Dwight Howard was stuck at the arena until roughly 2:30 a.m. ET with his son because the highway he lives off was closed due to flooding.

Howard's son played catch with several fans who were told to remain in the stands as the city was hit with a tremendous storm that shut down several highways and streets.

With 2:33 to play in Game 4, fans were instructed to remain in their seats for safety purposes because of the storm.

McHale said he lives a block and a half away from the arena and several other players take residence in the downtown area. Veteran forward Corey Brewer normally walks to the Toyota Center for games and practices because he lives so close.

Several Rockets staff members spent the night at the Toyota Center.

"I live a block and half away from the arena, so I was able to get home pretty easily," McHale said. "The last thing I heard Dwight was in the arena with some of the guys because he lives so far away. I think he was the last to leave."

The National Weather Service reported between 6 and 10 inches of rain had fallen in the Houston area Monday night, and authorities urged residents to stay off the roads -- including major interstates -- because of flash flooding as two bayous and other waterways had overflowed their banks.

Houston was under a flash flood watch until early Tuesday, forcing the NFL's Texans to cancel the first day of their organized team activities.

McHale said the Rockets' flight to Oakland, for Game 5, was scheduled to depart on time. Houston trails the Golden State Warriors 3-1 in their best-of-seven series.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.