Prosecutors reviewing assault case against Marcus and Markieff Morris

The Phoenix Suns' Marcus and Markieff Morris are being investigated on allegations that they joined three other men in beating a man in January, according to police documents made available Wednesday.

The brothers believed the man was sending "inappropriate" text messages to their mother, The Arizona Republic reports.

There have been no arrests and no charges have been filed, and a spokesman for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office confirmed to the Republic that prosecutors are continuing to review the case submitted by police.

Phoenix police are seeking aggravated assault charges against all five in the alleged attack against the alleged victim, Erik Hood.

The alleged assault occurred the night of Jan. 24 at a recreation and sports complex where Hood and a friend were watching a basketball game. Police said that after being hit in the head, Hood was confronted by two people who held him down while others kicked and punched him. Hood, who identified the twins and a third individual as three of his attackers, told police the group totaled five people.

A witness positively identified both brothers as participants in the attack, authorities said.

A friend of Hood drove him to a hospital where he was treated for a fractured nose, abrasions and a large bump on his head.

According to Hood's account, he formed a strong bond with the 25-year-old brothers when they were ninth-graders with dreams of becoming professional basketball players. Hood, 36, who graduated from the same Philadelphia high school as them, said he sometimes coached them and even shuttled them to practices.

But things soured about a year before they were drafted. The brothers cut off all contact with him after their friend found texts from Hood indicating he wanted their mother to be his girlfriend, Hood said. According to the report, Hood said a friend misinterpreted a text message in which the man told the twins' mother "he'd always be there," taking it to mean there was a romantic involvement.

Hood maintains that their mother, Tomasine Morris, still kept in touch with him and texted him the day of the assault to ask where he was. When reached by police on Feb. 10, Tomasine Morris denied communicating with Hood and knowing that he was in Phoenix.

In an interview at their home on Feb. 10 with a police investigator, both brothers denied any involvement in the incident. When asked if the alleged victim used to mentor them and had even been to their house back in Philadelphia, both said "hell no."

Markieff Morris told police he and his brother were at the game because they sponsor one of the teams but denied being part of the group of attackers, the Republic reports.

The police report says that despite the mother's denial that she was in contact with the man on the day of the assault, there is evidence showing otherwise.

"The Phoenix Suns are aware of an investigation by the Phoenix Police Department of an alleged assault," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said in a team release. "We have no information beyond what has been alleged in the police report and therefore have no further comment on the matter at this time. Our organization will closely monitor developments as the legal process unfolds."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.