LOS ANGELES -- LA Clippers forward Nicolas Batum missed Sunday's game and could be out for the next several days while in the league's health and safety protocols.
Batum was set to play before being ruled out not long before tipoff of the Clippers' 97-91 win over the Dallas Mavericks. The Clippers initially said the veteran was out because of illness before updating it and saying Batum was in the health and safety protocols.
Batum could miss multiple games. The Clippers are in a six-game homestand with the second game during that stretch against Dallas again on Tuesday.
"I'm not sure the days, but I expect him to be out for [a while]," Clippers head coach Ty Lue said. "I'm not sure the timetable, though."
Lue said the Clippers are taking as many precautions as possible.
"Everyone is getting tested and a lot of guys got tested before the game," Lue said of guarding against players entering the health and safety protocols. "So just gotta see what the results are, but it's gonna happen. Last year, we did a good job of staying away from that, but it's been something that's gonna hit everyone at some point in time. Just gotta be smart about it and make sure everyone's safe."
The Clippers have had to deal with multiple injuries this season. Kawhi Leonard is out indefinitely as he makes his way back from surgery to repair his right ACL. Marcus Morris Sr. (left knee injury) and rookie Jason Preston (right foot surgery) have been out. And veteran center Serge Ibaka just rejoined the team on Sunday after a stint in the G League as he makes his way back from back surgery.
Batum started this season strong, averaging 9.8 points and 5.5 rebounds. He missed one game last Thursday at Memphis due to an Achilles injury before returning to play against New Orleans on Friday.
"It has been [a lot of injuries], but a lot of teams are going through it, it's not just us," Lue said. "We gotta continue to weather the storm. I think our guys are doing a great job."